LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· In Loving Memory
2,980 Posts
If you are near Portsmouth, NH one early morning about 05:00, head down to the docks.
When I was driving truck I use to get every load I could going that way.
I could buy live lobster that the restaurants wouldn't buy because of size or defects for an average of $5 each.
The largest I ever bought was about 3 lbs. and I put it on my little portable grill.

A helluva lot better than truck stop food!

· Registered
3 Posts
I am a long time fan of shaker design and craftsmanship, so I would say Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield, MA has a lot to offer in the way of wood, textiles, farming, etc. Nearby in NY is Mt. Lebanon and Watervliet and in
NH is Enfield and Canterbury. There are several woodworking schools that can be found in the ads in Fine Woodworking or by doing an online search. Same is true if hunting for yarn or textiles.

· Registered
12,442 Posts
For vintage tools try Liberty Tool in Liberty, ME, The Tool Barn in Hulls Cove,ME ( near Bar Harbor) . I can vouch for Hancock Shaker Village, it's not far from my home and a spectacular place to see. Also Old Deerfield in Deerfield, MA. The Flint Center there has an amazing collection of early American furniture both common and highend. There is the Museum of Our Industrial Heritage, just up the road from Deerfield, in Greenfield, MA. Many of the vintage tool making companies were here in Western Mass and this museum has an extensive collection. Hope this helps.

· Registered
18,689 Posts
From Portsmouth you can go east on rt 4. Lots of antique shops (I think they call it antique alley) and also from Portsmouth go up rt 1 along the coast of ME. Another killer spot for antique shops.

Also http://www.deliatoolmuseum.com I haven't been there yet, but I have their book. I plan to make the trip one of these days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.