LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
541 - 543 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
Glass Jars for those recalcitrant chems.

Boys and Girls,

During the C19 Pandemic, I treated myself to a few new Fe$tool tools. This is noting to do with them, though I may do a review later, they dragged me down to the workshop and make me do some "workshop kinkies" that SWMBO might deliver a moon-slap in disgust.

For once I will avoid powered tools and turn my back on hand tools. I will crap on about those workshop incidentals that most just tend to ignore.

To minimise cross contamination I decant most of my chems/paints/stains/shellac, into glass jars. I wrote a tip on how to undo jars.

With this PITA C19 putting a dent into my activities, I found that my venture into "traditional workshoping" has taken a back seat to my puzzling laser work... (sorry gotta spruik my financier… ME).... you've all been following my puzzle mania… haven't yazall?

Returning to the workshop and hitting the jars with the 2 strap method, I had more OOPSIES with "horizontal orientation" spills than glasses of vino consumed in the last 10 minutes.

Faster curing tung oil and a traditional mix of shellac has the tendency to glue the lid to the jar… not to mention all those contraband chemicals that invade some selective noses… though I'm not condoning ample splinkling of sawdust/flour for workshop foothold stability.

If you are bored so far (as I've been know to crap on… but the goods are about to come), there are many more interesting LJ threads to satisfy your druthers…

This may seem obvious to the psychos (or is it psychics) out there, but I have found two ways to prevent those spillages while I used to battle with the two straps on a horizontal jar.
  1. Fully graduate to square jars.
    Drinkware Newspaper Fluid Drink Publication

If I detect an item in a square jar,
    Automotive tire Rim Gas Food storage containers Auto part

I buy it and then determine if I like it. If I like it, I have a great source of square jars and if I don't, I hold my nose and try to eat the stuff without proclaiming disgust of the stuff and wear my badge of abhorrance with nose-held pride. They can be inserted in a vice and with minimal pressure stabilise them for use with 1 strap wrench,
    Fluid Persian lime Tableware Wood Table
  2. If You're no square and claim rotundness, get some rubber padding,
    Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Gas

I got this from Clark Rubber, however, if it's a tad too far to shop from Yankeeland, Google it's local equivalent. I use the semi-soft 6mm x 100mm (to length) rubber strips to grab round jars in my vice
    Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Bumper Electrical wiring

I can crank it up to a reasonable force without fear of mega sweeping and cuts in the base of my thongs (flip-flops) of glass shards.

BTW: Shellac (liquid) has a limited shelf life, however, expired shellac mixed at 1:10 (depending on your cut) with metho (DNA), make a brilliant sanding sealer…. So don't throw out that non-tackie shellac (test used for determining expiry). Aren't you glad you didn't stop reading…
Lets just opt for,
Eye Cartoon Art Eyewear Painting

without the guns.
is it time for the stooges to rise up one more time ? what say you stooges ? it s been too long IMHO !!!!
- pottz
pottzy, it'd be great to get the band back together of, the rc, the pottzy and the black sea (read that quickly), however it's a tad early to hijack even one of our threads on the first day.
I have read the last paragraph. Too bad I never use shellac.
- Dutchy
A Dutchman that doesn't shellac, is like a Yankee that either likes or doesn't like The Donald... they're called Cubans!

Have you downloaded and watched this overlong video?
Eye Cartoon Art Eyewear Painting

Attachments

·
Registered
7,540 Posts

Boys and Girls,

During the C19 Pandemic, I treated myself to a few new Fe$tool tools. This is noting to do with them, though I may do a review later, they dragged me down to the workshop and make me do some "workshop kinkies" that SWMBO might deliver a moon-slap in disgust.

For once I will avoid powered tools and turn my back on hand tools. I will crap on about those workshop incidentals that most just tend to ignore.

To minimise cross contamination I decant most of my chems/paints/stains/shellac, into glass jars. I wrote a tip on how to undo jars.

With this PITA C19 putting a dent into my activities, I found that my venture into "traditional workshoping" has taken a back seat to my puzzling laser work... (sorry gotta spruik my financier… ME).... you've all been following my puzzle mania… haven't yazall?

Returning to the workshop and hitting the jars with the 2 strap method, I had more OOPSIES with "horizontal orientation" spills than glasses of vino consumed in the last 10 minutes.

Faster curing tung oil and a traditional mix of shellac has the tendency to glue the lid to the jar… not to mention all those contraband chemicals that invade some selective noses… though I'm not condoning ample splinkling of sawdust/flour for workshop foothold stability.

If you are bored so far (as I've been know to crap on… but the goods are about to come), there are many more interesting LJ threads to satisfy your druthers…

This may seem obvious to the psychos (or is it psychics) out there, but I have found two ways to prevent those spillages while I used to battle with the two straps on a horizontal jar.

I buy it and then determine if I like it. If I like it, I have a great source of square jars and if I don't, I hold my nose and try to eat the stuff without proclaiming disgust of the stuff and wear my badge of abhorrance with nose-held pride. They can be inserted in a vice and with minimal pressure stabilise them for use with 1 strap wrench,

I got this from Clark Rubber, however, if it's a tad too far to shop from Yankeeland, Google it's local equivalent. I use the semi-soft 6mm x 100mm (to length) rubber strips to grab round jars in my vice

I can crank it up to a reasonable force without fear of mega sweeping and cuts in the base of my thongs (flip-flops) of glass shards.

BTW: Shellac (liquid) has a limited shelf life, however, expired shellac mixed at 1:10 (depending on your cut) with metho (DNA), make a brilliant sanding sealer…. So don't throw out that non-tackie shellac (test used for determining expiry). Aren't you glad you didn't stop reading…
Love the Jars Duck!

Started with the masons since one could unscrew the ring then pry off the lid, but often the contents would bugger the ring up tight as well. Being round, as pointed out here, meant I needed leverage. Usually "clamping" the jar in the crotch and squeezing with the legs. Common result was the lid popping off, sloshing the contents on the pants making it look like I had a bladder control issue. Some of it would dry and blend in, other stuff (gloss poly) kept the wet look forever and I had to start avoiding wearing those pants in public or at work. The ghastly stares from the ladies, smirks from the young-uns, and knowing nods from the other woodworkers was just too much attention.

The square jars are the key, but I've switched to the square plastic peanut tubs. Occasionally the bottom will melt out from whatever horrendous solvent I poured in, but that is the price to pay for having the container bounce off the floor versus a jar breaking into parts when I shift the bench piles over a smidge to make room for my beer.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·

Boys and Girls,

The square jars are the key, but I ve switched to the square plastic peanut tubs…..
- splintergroup
Tallking about Peanut butter, I often hear Yankees brag about "Peanut butter and jello" sandwiches… sounds strange, as in Aussieland "jello" is jelly as opposed to jam… nevertheless I've taken it on board and actually use mint jelly... my favourite combinations is cashew spread with mint jelly,
Food Ingredient Liquid Lid Gas

While I've been known for my spicy addiction,
Food Aluminum can Drink Tin can Packaging and labeling

I can be a big little sweetie!

I also make a pretty mean spicy jerky,
Gas Automotive tire Food storage containers Bumper Water

BTW. A Vegemite squeeze bottle
Beverage can Aluminum can Beer Tin can Tin

makes a good dispenser… you don't even need to empty it.

pottzy, the 24 hour curfew has expired.

Attachments

541 - 543 of 543 Posts