LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
521 - 540 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Give your Fe$tool VAC$Y$ a kick along.

Boy and Girls,

It's hard to make something perfect "perfecter"… but here is an example.

I have been overwhelmed by my Fe$tool VAC$Y$,
Gas Engineering Milling Machine Tool

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Shelving Technology

and my only disappointment is that I didn't buy it many years ago.

OK, there was one other thing that could have been improved, and that was access to the on/off switch, which can be made easy or difficult depending on where the idiotic owner places the systainer… the latest version of the pump is enclosed in a systainer with the switch on the side.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim

Whether it be lack of space or imagination in planning, I found that my button was in an awkward spot to reach over my work and making it more convenient would upset the current layout… and my Chi,
Computer Personal computer Peripheral Computer hardware Electrical wiring

Peripheral Computer Personal computer Computer hardware Gadget

Even though the vacuum clamping still operates after the pump is switched off, a more practical option is to switch the pump off when you release the vacuum to remove the work.
Being space constrained, even one wasted foot in the workshop is an unnecessary overhead (or more precisely, underfoot)… so why not toggle the pump using that spare foot. As the pump release is operated by a foot lever, I thought the ideal place for a toggle switch would be near the foot lever.

While surfing the NET for a foot operated powerboard, I found this particular PowerCube,
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle part Electrical wiring Audio equipment

that came with a battery-less remote that was so designed that it was ideal to double sided tape it to the VAC$Y$'s vacuum release foot mechanism.
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Computer hardware

Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Wood stain

No longer is the solution at hand but only a foot away.

I plan to do a review on the PowerCube and will retro-link it here, if it ever "stays on the ground" and I don't forget…

I've yet to master separating my toes so I can switch both "buttons" off at once, however, two foot presses , as opposed to 2' presses, is not an obnoxious overhead.

If you own a VAC$Y$, you may find this tip useful and if you are thinking about it, read this blog that seems to be current at the moment.

FAIW, this concept can readily adapted to any machinery that doesn't have a built in mag-switch or if it does, (I didn't say this…) it can readily be replaced by a standard switch without jeopardising warranty and overall safety.
(LBD's Warning: Tampering with original switches may void warraties and under some circumstances negate safety features.)

Keep safe, jocks... and your jocks, safe!
So, I don't have much to say about this. But wanted to add something.
Publication World Poster Font Art

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #522 ·
Give your Fe$tool VAC$Y$ a kick along.

Boy and Girls,

It's hard to make something perfect "perfecter"… but here is an example.

I have been overwhelmed by my Fe$tool VAC$Y$,
Gas Engineering Milling Machine Tool

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Shelving Technology

and my only disappointment is that I didn't buy it many years ago.

OK, there was one other thing that could have been improved, and that was access to the on/off switch, which can be made easy or difficult depending on where the idiotic owner places the systainer… the latest version of the pump is enclosed in a systainer with the switch on the side.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim

Whether it be lack of space or imagination in planning, I found that my button was in an awkward spot to reach over my work and making it more convenient would upset the current layout… and my Chi,
Computer Personal computer Peripheral Computer hardware Electrical wiring

Peripheral Computer Personal computer Computer hardware Gadget

Even though the vacuum clamping still operates after the pump is switched off, a more practical option is to switch the pump off when you release the vacuum to remove the work.
Being space constrained, even one wasted foot in the workshop is an unnecessary overhead (or more precisely, underfoot)… so why not toggle the pump using that spare foot. As the pump release is operated by a foot lever, I thought the ideal place for a toggle switch would be near the foot lever.

While surfing the NET for a foot operated powerboard, I found this particular PowerCube,
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle part Electrical wiring Audio equipment

that came with a battery-less remote that was so designed that it was ideal to double sided tape it to the VAC$Y$'s vacuum release foot mechanism.
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Computer hardware

Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Wood stain

No longer is the solution at hand but only a foot away.

I plan to do a review on the PowerCube and will retro-link it here, if it ever "stays on the ground" and I don't forget…

I've yet to master separating my toes so I can switch both "buttons" off at once, however, two foot presses , as opposed to 2' presses, is not an obnoxious overhead.

If you own a VAC$Y$, you may find this tip useful and if you are thinking about it, read this blog that seems to be current at the moment.

FAIW, this concept can readily adapted to any machinery that doesn't have a built in mag-switch or if it does, (I didn't say this…) it can readily be replaced by a standard switch without jeopardising warranty and overall safety.
(LBD's Warning: Tampering with original switches may void warraties and under some circumstances negate safety features.)

I wanted to deliver some Frenchie... but drank it before the plane took off.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
TSO Power-Loc Dogs that Bark as well as Bite.

Boys and Girls,

Since I bought my TSO Power-Loc Dogs around 6 months ago, I have been spruiking them and may have portrayed misinformation of them.

Personally, I look upon them as a "profileless clamp" to hold jigs
Table Rectangle Wood Floor Wood stain

and other paraphernalia
Gas Engineering Wood Machine Creative arts

to MFT style benches/tabletops.
They are not the "traditional" type of a bench dog.
Wood Table Audio equipment Gas Wood stain

Nevertheless you can convert them into a bench dog by drilling a 20mm hole in a block of wood, chamfer it and use the TSO dogs,
Blue Wood Wood stain Gas Hardwood

to anchor them to your bench. They can simply be inserted into a dog hole, however, I recommend that they be tightened with an allen key… or using a cordless drill on the lowest torque setting,
Wood Camera accessory Bicycle part Drill Tool

(another tip and this one's a freebie).

They can then be used as a dog stop,
Wood Wood stain Rectangle Plank Hardwood

and for thicker benchtops recess the chamfer deeper,
Wood Gas Wood stain Hardwood Plank

to compensate.

Unfortunately if you want two dogs (no joke intended), unless you are meticulous with your measurements and subsequent execution, you could sacrifice the MFT style feature of your bench due to incorrect centering of the dog in the timber.

I have managed to find a workaround for this… the downside is that for 100% (+/- 0.05% mm) accuracy, you'll need access to a laser… a CNC may suffice, however, the potential tearout/cleanup may jeopardise accuracy.

I have designed and cut out these collars from 6mm MDF.
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Font Gas

That can now now be substituted for "normal dogs"
Wood Gas Household hardware Auto part Electric blue

using the TSO Dogs and the drill,
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Tool Gas

You can stack the collars according to requirements and the thickness of the benchtop

Because of the accuracy of the laser, you can be guaranteed that on any spot of the collar perimeter, you'll be exactly 15mm from the centre of the dog hole.

With such precission, you can maintain the integrity of the MDF style concept of your table top. This perfect 90° corner fits precisely against the dogs,
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Wood stain Rectangle Hardwood Flooring

Now I appreciate that MDF can throw wobblies when subjected to humidity changes, however, all the collars being identical in size, should be equally affected creating a proportionate margin for error that will retain integrity.

For the faint hearted, I have created a set of collars out of acrylic
Automotive tire Camera accessory Rim Audio equipment Automotive wheel system

that will not be affected by even spilled vino… you may cuss at the loss of the savoury brew but not on its moisture affect on the dog collars.
To compensate for the laser kerf, the OD was 30.3mm and the ID was 19.8mm to yield a 30mm OD and 20mm ID respectively, collar… as can be identified by the engraving on the collars.

I have also made a set of 25mm collars
Wood Drinkware Bicycle part Gas Cylinder

Wood Nickel Gas Silver Rim

to fit the TSO dogs that can be used instead of the supplier's recommended Veritas dogs for use with the UJK Parf System Mk.I
Wood Table Gas Hardwood Wood stain

Wood Household hardware Gas Hardwood Wood stain

the one on the left is the recommended Veritas dog... or if you just want a 25mm dia. dog if you are kinky.

As I've mentioned in the past, don't be threatened by the mention of lasers… laser cutting per se, can be relatively cheap as the majority of the costs is in the design and setup. If you provide the specs and material, I am advised it'd probably be cheaper than the petrol used to drive to the service centre… and if you have access to a laser, then you've got no bloody excuse!

I have made another of my impromptu videos and all the files I used can be plagiarised using this link.

Don't let the original "collarless" limitation deprive you of extending the versatility of your clamping horizons using these dog clamps. You can now have a bench dog that bites (clamps)... and barks ("dogs").

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Boys and Girls,

Since I bought my TSO Power-Loc Dogs around 6 months ago, I have been spruiking them and may have portrayed misinformation of them.

and other paraphernalia

Nevertheless you can convert them into a bench dog by drilling a 20mm hole in a block of wood, chamfer it and use the TSO dogs,

to anchor them to your bench. They can simply be inserted into a dog hole, however, I recommend that they be tightened with an allen key… or using a cordless drill on the lowest torque setting,

to compensate.

Unfortunately if you want two dogs (no joke intended), unless you are meticulous with your measurements and subsequent execution, you could sacrifice the MFT style feature of your bench due to incorrect centering of the dog in the timber.

I have managed to find a workaround for this… the downside is that for 100% (+/- 0.05% mm) accuracy, you'll need access to a laser… a CNC may suffice, however, the potential tearout/cleanup may jeopardise accuracy.

You can stack the collars according to requirements and the thickness of the benchtop

Because of the accuracy of the laser, you can be guaranteed that on any spot of the collar perimeter, you'll be exactly 15mm from the centre of the dog hole.

With such precission, you can maintain the integrity of the MDF style concept of your table top. This perfect 90° corner fits precisely against the dogs,

Now I appreciate that MDF can throw wobblies when subjected to humidity changes, however, all the collars being identical in size, should be equally affected creating a proportionate margin for error that will retain integrity.

that will not be affected by even spilled vino… you may cuss at the loss of the savoury brew but not on its moisture affect on the dog collars.
To compensate for the laser kerf, the OD was 30.3mm and the ID was 19.8mm to yield a 30mm OD and 20mm ID respectively, collar… as can be identified by the engraving on the collars.

to fit the TSO dogs that can be used instead of the supplier's recommended Veritas dogs for use with the UJK Parf System Mk.I

the one on the left is the recommended Veritas dog... or if you just want a 25mm dia. dog if you are kinky.

As I've mentioned in the past, don't be threatened by the mention of lasers… laser cutting per se, can be relatively cheap as the majority of the costs is in the design and setup. If you provide the specs and material, I am advised it'd probably be cheaper than the petrol used to drive to the service centre… and if you have access to a laser, then you've got no bloody excuse!

I have made another of my impromptu videos and all the files I used can be plagiarised using this link.

Don't let the original "collarless" limitation deprive you of extending the versatility of your clamping horizons using these dog clamps. You can now have a bench dog that bites (clamps)... and barks ("dogs").

Interesting!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Boys and Girls,

and other paraphernalia

to compensate.

Very informative!

Helmet Hard hat Sleeve Cap Personal protective equipment

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts

Boys and Girls,

and other paraphernalia

to compensate.

And thank you for introducing me to the word "spruiking."

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·

Boys and Girls,

and other paraphernalia

to compensate.

Sleeve Font Gesture Elbow Art

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,511 Posts

Boys and Girls,

and other paraphernalia

to compensate.

well duckie another one of your gotta have it do dads that well,i dont gotta have.sorry but ill pass on this one ! but i do appreciate your effort to inform us !

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·

Boys and Girls,

and other paraphernalia

to compensate.

well duckie another one of your gotta have it do dads that well,i dont gotta have.sorry but ill pass on this one ! but i do appreciate your effort to inform us !

- pottz
Never knock what you haven't tried… that's why I only just make snide whispers about the Bos¢h sander lately.

That's like the 300 Spartans who said they don't need a Pfeifer-Zeliska . 600 Nitro Express Revolver and chose swords and spears instead… but if they had a couple of those "little" babies… even just one…. they could've reversed the tables on Xerxes, and all the middle east would be speaking Greek.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
Come to Grips with Keyless Chucks on your Drill Press.

Boy and Girls,

I believe that Drill Presses all come with keyed chucks as it is hard to tighten a keyless chuck similar to the little trick with cordless drill chucks… Google it if you don't know how to apply that lock using a "reverse twist".

If like me, you've gone thrill-seeker and replaced the original with a keyless chuck,
Machine tool Drill Milling Gas Nickel

you may appreciate the issue I've encountered while cranking up the chuck to get a good grip on some of my drill bits.

I don't know about other DP brands, however, most of my better ones had a quill lock, but none had a spindle (rotation) lock.

Much as I love my Nova Voyager, it has a very "freely rotating spindle" that just about makes a one handed chuck tightening impossible… even holding the drill bit tight enough to get the other hand into the action.
Fairly soon after the initial launch, the manufacturer released some firmware to permit locking of the spindle.
Neat undertaking, and while it is quite effective, I have to navigate through the menu to select the "Spindle Lock" feature.
Gadget Font Technology Office equipment Display device

Font Office equipment Display device Technology Electronic device

Font Display device Electronic device Technology Number

While usually the lock is sufficient, I've found that under certain circumstances I needed some white knuckle pressure that was difficult to achieve.
I still retain my keyed chuck and have had occasions where I had no alternative but to temporarily swap them out.

I won't bore you with why I need it, other than I do and I'm guessing there may be other out there feeling the same.

Now I'm sure the following concept is not new to many, however, like me, you probably think about it but slackly, never execute it.
Well, I finally have.

To overcome this I have two cheap multi grips permanently hanging on a board near the drill press,
Saw Milling Drill Power tool Tool

that have their jaws lined with leather strips
Product Sportswear Kitchen utensil Wood Font

to protect the chucks surface from disfiguring scratches.
The grips are bargain basement jobs, but are ideal for those odd occasions where I need to force the chuck.

In the past I used two of these rubberised oil filter removers,
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part

however, they were a pain to set up for the big "squeeze"… that's why I graduated to the multi grip.
While my Voyager spindle lock is sufficient for 99% of my requirements, this may make life a tad easier for someone taking the time to read this.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Boy and Girls,

I believe that Drill Presses all come with keyed chucks as it is hard to tighten a keyless chuck similar to the little trick with cordless drill chucks… Google it if you don't know how to apply that lock using a "reverse twist".

If like me, you've gone thrill-seeker and replaced the original with a keyless chuck,

you may appreciate the issue I've encountered while cranking up the chuck to get a good grip on some of my drill bits.

I don't know about other DP brands, however, most of my better ones had a quill lock, but none had a spindle (rotation) lock.

Much as I love my Nova Voyager, it has a very "freely rotating spindle" that just about makes a one handed chuck tightening impossible… even holding the drill bit tight enough to get the other hand into the action.
Fairly soon after the initial launch, the manufacturer released some firmware to permit locking of the spindle.
Neat undertaking, and while it is quite effective, I have to navigate through the menu to select the "Spindle Lock" feature.

While usually the lock is sufficient, I've found that under certain circumstances I needed some white knuckle pressure that was difficult to achieve.
I still retain my keyed chuck and have had occasions where I had no alternative but to temporarily swap them out.

I won't bore you with why I need it, other than I do and I'm guessing there may be other out there feeling the same.

Now I'm sure the following concept is not new to many, however, like me, you probably think about it but slackly, never execute it.
Well, I finally have.

To overcome this I have two cheap multi grips permanently hanging on a board near the drill press,

The grips are bargain basement jobs, but are ideal for those odd occasions where I need to force the chuck.

however, they were a pain to set up for the big "squeeze"… that's why I graduated to the multi grip.
While my Voyager spindle lock is sufficient for 99% of my requirements, this may make life a tad easier for someone taking the time to read this.

I read it! Had some time. Thanks for the tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Boy and Girls,

Well, I finally have.

I have always got time
Well Keyless chucks may have been a great invention but unless you have hex shanked bits you are certain to experience slippage an then they become the bain of our lives.
Unless you have a special Chuck!

Forehead Smile Chin Tie Dress shirt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts

Boy and Girls,

Well, I finally have.

I have the Nova Voyager and put a keyless on it. Yes, I have experienced the same issue and needed to use large pliers to get loose.

I by ave not encountered any issues of slippage.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·

Boy and Girls,

Well, I finally have.

..... Well Keyless chucks may have been a great invention but…..

Forehead Smile Chin Tie Dress shirt

- robscastle
Have you tried that trick with the cordless drills?

As for bloody Chucky... I tried that Total Gym, but SWMBO still manages to moon-slap the hell outta me…
At least Smithy had the decency of a frontal assault!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·

Boy and Girls,

Well, I finally have.

I have the Nova Voyager and put a keyless on it. Yes, I have experienced the same issue and needed to use large pliers to get loose.

I by ave not encountered any issues of slippage.

- Redoak49
I get issues with large bits when I use the reverse spin option and the chuck "undoes" and the bit gets jammed in the job.

Have you upgraded your firmware? Somewhere in one of the upgrades, the power of the software spindle lock has improved.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,792 Posts

Boy and Girls,

Well, I finally have.

I upgraded the software a few years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 ·
Glass Jars for those recalcitrant chems.

Boys and Girls,

During the C19 Pandemic, I treated myself to a few new Fe$tool tools. This is noting to do with them, though I may do a review later, they dragged me down to the workshop and make me do some "workshop kinkies" that SWMBO might deliver a moon-slap in disgust.

For once I will avoid powered tools and turn my back on hand tools. I will crap on about those workshop incidentals that most just tend to ignore.

To minimise cross contamination I decant most of my chems/paints/stains/shellac, into glass jars. I wrote a tip on how to undo jars.

With this PITA C19 putting a dent into my activities, I found that my venture into "traditional workshoping" has taken a back seat to my puzzling laser work... (sorry gotta spruik my financier… ME).... you've all been following my puzzle mania… haven't yazall?

Returning to the workshop and hitting the jars with the 2 strap method, I had more OOPSIES with "horizontal orientation" spills than glasses of vino consumed in the last 10 minutes.

Faster curing tung oil and a traditional mix of shellac has the tendency to glue the lid to the jar… not to mention all those contraband chemicals that invade some selective noses… though I'm not condoning ample splinkling of sawdust/flour for workshop foothold stability.

If you are bored so far (as I've been know to crap on… but the goods are about to come), there are many more interesting LJ threads to satisfy your druthers…

This may seem obvious to the psychos (or is it psychics) out there, but I have found two ways to prevent those spillages while I used to battle with the two straps on a horizontal jar.
  1. Fully graduate to square jars.
    Drinkware Newspaper Fluid Drink Publication

If I detect an item in a square jar,
    Automotive tire Rim Gas Food storage containers Auto part

I buy it and then determine if I like it. If I like it, I have a great source of square jars and if I don't, I hold my nose and try to eat the stuff without proclaiming disgust of the stuff and wear my badge of abhorrance with nose-held pride. They can be inserted in a vice and with minimal pressure stabilise them for use with 1 strap wrench,
    Fluid Persian lime Tableware Wood Table
  2. If You're no square and claim rotundness, get some rubber padding,
    Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Gas

I got this from Clark Rubber, however, if it's a tad too far to shop from Yankeeland, Google it's local equivalent. I use the semi-soft 6mm x 100mm (to length) rubber strips to grab round jars in my vice
    Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Bumper Electrical wiring

I can crank it up to a reasonable force without fear of mega sweeping and cuts in the base of my thongs (flip-flops) of glass shards.

BTW: Shellac (liquid) has a limited shelf life, however, expired shellac mixed at 1:10 (depending on your cut) with metho (DNA), make a brilliant sanding sealer…. So don't throw out that non-tackie shellac (test used for determining expiry). Aren't you glad you didn't stop reading…

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Boys and Girls,

During the C19 Pandemic, I treated myself to a few new Fe$tool tools. This is noting to do with them, though I may do a review later, they dragged me down to the workshop and make me do some "workshop kinkies" that SWMBO might deliver a moon-slap in disgust.

For once I will avoid powered tools and turn my back on hand tools. I will crap on about those workshop incidentals that most just tend to ignore.

To minimise cross contamination I decant most of my chems/paints/stains/shellac, into glass jars. I wrote a tip on how to undo jars.

With this PITA C19 putting a dent into my activities, I found that my venture into "traditional workshoping" has taken a back seat to my puzzling laser work... (sorry gotta spruik my financier… ME).... you've all been following my puzzle mania… haven't yazall?

Returning to the workshop and hitting the jars with the 2 strap method, I had more OOPSIES with "horizontal orientation" spills than glasses of vino consumed in the last 10 minutes.

Faster curing tung oil and a traditional mix of shellac has the tendency to glue the lid to the jar… not to mention all those contraband chemicals that invade some selective noses… though I'm not condoning ample splinkling of sawdust/flour for workshop foothold stability.

If you are bored so far (as I've been know to crap on… but the goods are about to come), there are many more interesting LJ threads to satisfy your druthers…

This may seem obvious to the psychos (or is it psychics) out there, but I have found two ways to prevent those spillages while I used to battle with the two straps on a horizontal jar.

I buy it and then determine if I like it. If I like it, I have a great source of square jars and if I don't, I hold my nose and try to eat the stuff without proclaiming disgust of the stuff and wear my badge of abhorrance with nose-held pride. They can be inserted in a vice and with minimal pressure stabilise them for use with 1 strap wrench,

I got this from Clark Rubber, however, if it's a tad too far to shop from Yankeeland, Google it's local equivalent. I use the semi-soft 6mm x 100mm (to length) rubber strips to grab round jars in my vice

I can crank it up to a reasonable force without fear of mega sweeping and cuts in the base of my thongs (flip-flops) of glass shards.

BTW: Shellac (liquid) has a limited shelf life, however, expired shellac mixed at 1:10 (depending on your cut) with metho (DNA), make a brilliant sanding sealer…. So don't throw out that non-tackie shellac (test used for determining expiry). Aren't you glad you didn't stop reading…
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/must-reads/pensioner-diversifies-rubber-business-making-erotic-gear-sex-dungeons-69196

Font Military camouflage Photo caption Travel Landscape

I am not sure which one is applicable tee hee!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28,511 Posts

Boys and Girls,

is it time for the stooges to rise up one more time ? what say you stooges ? it's been too long IMHO !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Boys and Girls,

I have read the last paragraph. Too bad I never use shellac.

Attachments

521 - 540 of 543 Posts