LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
501 - 520 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Parking your router without driving lessons.

Boy and Girls,

I'm sure this has been posted many times before and most crusty LJ'ers are aware of this, however, I'm hoping there may be a newbie or two that hasn't had this tip thrown in their face and are too slack to interrogate the "archives".

While using my Leigh D4R dovetailer making a cabinet for my over populated puzzles menagerie, I set up this router parking bay without thinking…
Wood Textile Floor Flooring Automotive tire

While taking other photos for an upcoming project post, I thought that there may be other people out there that may struggle with parking their routers with the bit protruding during the progress of a project.
Green Engineering Machine Scientific instrument Personal protective equipment

Adhesive Automotive tire Adhesive tape Automotive wheel system Rim

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm advocating a cheap solution as I am a devout advocat of SKI (Spend Kid's Inheritance)… the one good thing about this, as opposed to a shop-made stand out of exotics or fancy purchased alternatives, you won't give a toss if you park it accidentally before the brake cuts in… all that gets tossed is the replaceable roll… at least you won't need to book an advanced parking course or revert to "P" plates if you bugger up the manoeuvre.

While I could attempt to park it in one of my 20mm dogholes,
Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas Plant

I just don't have the need for any 40mm oblong holes.

This may not be much chop if you hand cut your dovetails, but it may be handy for other free-hand router adventures. Furthermore, there's no such thing as a woodworker without a roll of duct tape… so you already have a bloody good foundation,
Engineering Machine tool Gas Wood Machine

Any roll will work, however, I do suggest you choose one appropriate for the outer and that protruding router bit. Obviously this red roll may be an unfavorable chioice,
Milling Automotive tire Machine tool Gas Power tool

and for once,
Automotive tire Wood Gas Machine Auto part

even the trusty "duck" tape let the team down.

You could always use some left over/recycled PVC pipes,
Electricity Engineering Gas Machine Electrical wiring

though I thoroughly recommend you trim to size.

Keep safe, jocks... and your jocks, safe!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Boy and Girls,

I'm sure this has been posted many times before and most crusty LJ'ers are aware of this, however, I'm hoping there may be a newbie or two that hasn't had this tip thrown in their face and are too slack to interrogate the "archives".

While using my Leigh D4R dovetailer making a cabinet for my over populated puzzles menagerie, I set up this router parking bay without thinking…

While taking other photos for an upcoming project post, I thought that there may be other people out there that may struggle with parking their routers with the bit protruding during the progress of a project.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm advocating a cheap solution as I am a devout advocat of SKI (Spend Kid's Inheritance)… the one good thing about this, as opposed to a shop-made stand out of exotics or fancy purchased alternatives, you won't give a toss if you park it accidentally before the brake cuts in… all that gets tossed is the replaceable roll… at least you won't need to book an advanced parking course or revert to "P" plates if you bugger up the manoeuvre.

This may not be much chop if you hand cut your dovetails, but it may be handy for other free-hand router adventures. Furthermore, there's no such thing as a woodworker without a roll of duct tape… so you already have a bloody good foundation,

Any roll will work, however, I do suggest you choose one appropriate for the outer and that protruding router bit. Obviously this red roll may be an unfavorable chioice,

and for once,

You need a lot of these stands.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I could have used some duck tape
especially after failing to duck the concete footpath

PS looks like your accessory runs rings around shop bought ones

Attachments

·
Registered
6,017 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

Love the safety tape!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,540 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I like the Duck tape idea! If the roll is old enough there should be enough adhesive ooze on the sides so it'll stay put (stuck to the router base or the bench 8^)

Have you considered a bungy cord? Do your routing, then let it loose and it'll be pulled up to the ceiling and out of your hair (metaphorically speaking of course 8^)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,593 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

Oh my, the silly season has started with a cracker….

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #507 ·

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

Have you considered a bungy cord? Do your routing, then let it loose and it ll be pulled up to the ceiling and out of your hair (metaphorically speaking of course 8^)

- splintergroup
I use bungy for my hoses and cords…

Theat sprooiinnnnggg concept sounds good, but to get the equilibrium set up everytime I route on a different corner of my workshop would take a tad longer than to toss a roll of tape on the bench… The next time it stays on an edge and rolls off the table, I might investigate further.

Actually the duct tape is a last resort when you run out of TP… I remember once I was routing for about 10 minutes and getting nowhere till I realised the roll was still tacked to the base of the router… lifting the entire bench when you pick up the router is another indications of leaky duct tape.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I could have used some duck tape
especially after failing to duck the concete footpath
- robscastle
Just pack your duck tape in feathers so when you fall down, it's a soft landing… the feathers will also soak up the blood…

You need a lot of these stands.

- Dutchy
You could get about 10 stands from this PVC pipe,
Gas Engineering Machine Electricity Wood

... or 20 and use short router bits.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

Looks like you are on a role there Alex.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I had a really good laugh at the last photo. "Like, he really staged that photo, LoL"

Attachments

·
Registered
8,696 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I just flip my router upside down and sit it down that way. The top is flat on one of my routers but I must lay my Makita router on it's side (no flat top) so your Duck tape one will do for me! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I had a really good laugh at the last photo. "Like, he really staged that photo, LoL"

- DevinT
No staging DT... for my dovetails on a long board, I had to climb a "ladder"...
Automotive design Engineering Plant Gas Motor vehicle

so the pipe was no issue… having to walk 4 meters to it was.

I just flip my router upside down and sit it down that way. The top is flat on one of my routers but I must lay my Makita router on it s side (no flat top) so your Duck tape one will do for me! Thanks!

- woodshaver Tony C
The Fe$tool will stand on it's head, but it must like vino as much as me as it kept falling over…. and yazall know my feeling about UGH! sideways...

Had the same problem with my Makita... but after cutting the cord off and disecting the micro adjuster (what a stupid design), I found the roll was a better option on the second Makita.

The Milwaukee trimmer wiill stand upside down on the battery, however, I'm worried about poking an eye out with the protruding router bit… I use BIG bits.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Boy and Girls,

and for once,

I have a big Router bit

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #514 ·
Remember "Fe$tool VACSYS"...?

Boys and Girls,

I was tossing up where to post this and decided on it as a tip for all you jocks that have fantasised about the Fe$tool VACSYS but deferring it till the dodgy son-in-law and his biker mates manage to pull off that bank job so you could afford the full set.

I recently posted a video about my
Gas Engineering Milling Machine Tool

and heard rumblings that it may be discontinued in that there US of the A.

While this post is loosely related to the video, my only regret is that I hadn't bought it years ago… maybe should have in a past life centuries ago!
I do recommend the dual heads… more shekels, but exponential convenience.

I have mine so it's no skin off my nose, but without delving into great depths I have gleaned that it is not being decommissioned, but rather discontinued due to political red-tape issues with certification (or maybe re-certification).
I hope this is just a rumor or a Fe$tool announcement to bolster sales, however, if you still have that incling, I suggest you get off your rrrs quickly and do your own due diligence asap.

If the shit actually hits the fan, all I can suggest to all you Freckless, you may be able to acquire a 240V version internationally along with a transformer if you don't have a 240V socket… well you can have the socket but 240V feeding that socket.

Alternatively, do a Grabo adaptation,
Wood Gas Composite material Engineering Machine

Table Wood Folding chair Chair Gas

Table Wood Wood stain Tool Hardwood

So…. my tip is… you have been warned... and lets hope the rumor is just that.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Boys and Girls,

I was tossing up where to post this and decided on it as a tip for all you jocks that have fantasised about the Fe$tool VACSYS but deferring it till the dodgy son-in-law and his biker mates manage to pull off that bank job so you could afford the full set.

While this post is loosely related to the video, my only regret is that I hadn't bought it years ago… maybe should have in a past life centuries ago!

I have mine so it's no skin off my nose, but without delving into great depths I have gleaned that it is not being decommissioned, but rather discontinued due to political red-tape issues with certification (or maybe re-certification).
I hope this is just a rumor or a Fe$tool announcement to bolster sales, however, if you still have that incling, I suggest you get off your rrrs quickly and do your own due diligence asap.

If the shit actually hits the fan, all I can suggest to all you Freckless, you may be able to acquire a 240V version internationally along with a transformer if you don't have a 240V socket… well you can have the socket but 240V feeding that socket.

That's about as funny as Errol Flynn and his pork and string trick with ducks!

See attached Christmas present

Food Tin Food storage Ingredient Tin can

I think if you asked Dave P nicely he may loan you one of his spoon bits

Otherwise
I could do a Freddy Mercury impersonation for you

Nose Mouth Cap Cricket cap Jaw

Then failing all that arousing your feathers refer to picture No 1 !

tee hee!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·

Boys and Girls,

Sorry rc you've lost me, maybe I should wait another month for the vino over Christmas to wear off.

The Errol I regularly practice to keep the family in line, and that spreadable spam has me juicing up… maybe I need another drink to catch up.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·

Boys and Girls,

Boys and Girls, nothing official from head office, but I have been advised it is discontinued.

So, to all you procrastinators, the boat has sailed.

To think, I had a swag of videos to post… but even I'm not mean enough to rub salt into the wound,
Bird Beak Art Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl

Attachments

·
Registered
7,540 Posts

Boys and Girls,

What does one do if they get their face or other body part stuck to that thing and the switch is out of reach?

These are questions that the panel of lawyers consider before a product can be loosed upon the unwashed citizens.

It's a fine balance between maximizing the lawyers consumer lawsuit profits versus allowing a foreign company to profit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #519 ·

Boys and Girls,

... or other body part stuck to that thing…
- splintergroup
Lean back and enjoy!

But that is a conundrum that latecomers will not have to endure.

My good deed for the day… saving people thousands of shekels NOT hiring lawyers…

PS. For the climax, I have the switch on a foot plug and that plug is plugged into an "Alexa" scream controlled plug.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #520 ·
Give your Fe$tool VAC$Y$ a kick along.

Boy and Girls,

It's hard to make something perfect "perfecter"… but here is an example.

I have been overwhelmed by my Fe$tool VAC$Y$,

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Shelving Technology

and my only disappointment is that I didn't buy it many years ago.

OK, there was one other thing that could have been improved, and that was access to the on/off switch, which can be made easy or difficult depending on where the idiotic owner places the systainer… the latest version of the pump is enclosed in a systainer with the switch on the side.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim

Whether it be lack of space or imagination in planning, I found that my button was in an awkward spot to reach over my work and making it more convenient would upset the current layout… and my Chi,
Computer Personal computer Peripheral Computer hardware Electrical wiring

Peripheral Computer Personal computer Computer hardware Gadget

Even though the vacuum clamping still operates after the pump is switched off, a more practical option is to switch the pump off when you release the vacuum to remove the work.
Being space constrained, even one wasted foot in the workshop is an unnecessary overhead (or more precisely, underfoot)… so why not toggle the pump using that spare foot. As the pump release is operated by a foot lever, I thought the ideal place for a toggle switch would be near the foot lever.

While surfing the NET for a foot operated powerboard, I found this particular PowerCube,
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle part Electrical wiring Audio equipment

that came with a battery-less remote that was so designed that it was ideal to double sided tape it to the VAC$Y$'s vacuum release foot mechanism.
Electrical wiring Audio equipment Gas Electronic instrument Computer hardware

Wood Flooring Gas Hardwood Wood stain

No longer is the solution at hand but only a foot away.

I plan to do a review on the PowerCube and will retro-link it here, if it ever "stays on the ground" and I don't forget…

I've yet to master separating my toes so I can switch both "buttons" off at once, however, two foot presses , as opposed to 2' presses, is not an obnoxious overhead.

If you own a VAC$Y$, you may find this tip useful and if you are thinking about it, read this blog that seems to be current at the moment.

FAIW, this concept can readily adapted to any machinery that doesn't have a built in mag-switch or if it does, (I didn't say this…) it can readily be replaced by a standard switch without jeopardising warranty and overall safety.
(LBD's Warning: Tampering with original switches may void warraties and under some circumstances negate safety features.)

Attachments

501 - 520 of 543 Posts