LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Has anyone used granite to make a router table top, and what was needed to machine the granite for the top to accommodate the router and mounting holes and to chamfer the edges? I have an opportunity to acquire a piece for a top cheap if I want it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Right angle grinder and a diamond blade will cut it. As far as actually milling it into a router table, you are talking about a very nice/expensive waterjet router. They are good for sharpening plates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take it to a counter top shop and have them water jet the cut outs and holes. They will also have the diamond tools to make the support lip for the plate.

Put a rubber O-ring under you router plate to avoid those nasty vibes, as was noted above.

Also seal the surface, granite sucks up anything wet dripped on it.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
I'm with skeezics on this. Corian scraps aren't too hard to come by, and it machines nicely with a router. I found it noisy with a B&D router, but much less noisy with my Bosch routers.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I got to go with skeezics and poopiekat on this. Granite is nice and all that, but unless you have diamond cutters, grinders and copious water cooling in your shop, well, Corian is a lot easier and the results well just be fantastic.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. What seems like a good deal for the granite, isn't such a deal in what I would need for tooling it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd never attempt cutting it yourself, but a top shop with a CNC would probably charge about $200-$300 to do it.

I work with corian a lot, and wouldn't recommend it for a top, unless you have a well supported plywood or MDF sub top underneath it. Corian flexes easily, and will sag. It also can warp, and often will not be flat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.