LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
441 - 460 of 673 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wooden Screw - Another attempt

It didnt turn out well, still licking my wounds. Here is briefly what happened…

Made a new jig
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Lumber Wooden block

After one test screw, I successfuly made one that had reasonable little chipping, I was happy with it.
Wood Gas Machine Flooring Audio equipment

I actually cut the hub off a reject screw and reused it on this one.
Wood Flooring Engineering Hardwood Plywood

Ruler Wood Tool Office ruler Hardwood

Sleeve Couch Comfort Tie Pattern

Tapped the leg
Wood Gas Composite material Engineering Building material

Tried the screw, but it binds up after a little bit.
I kept tapping the threads deeper and deeper hoping it would fit but it wasn't the diameter of the hole, it was the thread pitch, and since the leg is pretty thick there are a lot of teeth that engage the nut so it has to be right on. I have no idea why this is happening… The same tap was used for the guide threads in the screw making jig, it should be exactly the same, but its not….
Wood Flooring Gas Engineering Machine

Ironically one of the first practice screws I made with my first jig fit perfectly. I'd use it except I would need a 3" thick chop and it would only have a 4.5" clamping capacity.
Table Wood Floor Flooring Wood stain

Here are all of my attempts laid out in chronological order. The closest ones are the oldest.
Wood Tool Gas Auto part Nut

Like I said, the first ones I made fit so I still have hope and one more screw blank!

I hope to have good news for you soon.

Thanks for watching and thanks for your support.

Mauricio
http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societe/education-et-enseignement/video/VDD10045545/la-fabrication-d-un-siege-a-l-ecole-boulle.fr.html

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts

Made a new jig

After one test screw, I successfuly made one that had reasonable little chipping, I was happy with it.

Tapped the leg

I kept tapping the threads deeper and deeper hoping it would fit but it wasn't the diameter of the hole, it was the thread pitch, and since the leg is pretty thick there are a lot of teeth that engage the nut so it has to be right on. I have no idea why this is happening… The same tap was used for the guide threads in the screw making jig, it should be exactly the same, but its not….

Ironically one of the first practice screws I made with my first jig fit perfectly. I'd use it except I would need a 3" thick chop and it would only have a 4.5" clamping capacity.

Here are all of my attempts laid out in chronological order. The closest ones are the oldest.

Like I said, the first ones I made fit so I still have hope and one more screw blank!

Mauricio
hey,i want to ask does cnc routers have market in your woodworking processing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

Made a new jig

Tapped the leg

Mauricio
Mauricio, have you checked that the plate on your router is perfectly centered? I looked at the CartersW method and it seems to me that when you align the router on the jig with the cross hairs, if you are not perfectly centered, then your pitch would change. This would be similar to what happens when you use a dovetail jig and your router is not centered.

This is why it worked with the short screw but not with the long one, as you progress the error becomes greater. Think finger joints.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·

Made a new jig

Tapped the leg

Mauricio
Kova que Buenos esos videos! Gracias por el en enlace. Me encanto esa prensa y la serrucho que parecía cepillo que usaban para cortar los hombros?/shoulders de los tenons. Y que tal el Toupie(router) que utilizaban, que peligroso se ve esa machina!

Kova, great videos! Thanks for posting the link. I love that vise and that saw that looks like a plane that they used for cutting the tenon shoulders. How about that router they use, that machine looks dangerous.

Vivien, I think your right that there are CNC routers that can do it. I saw a manufacturer at the woodworking show displaying screws they made with CNC. I'm sure that would be a much bigger investment than I'm willing to make.

JGM, I agree with you about centering the router perfectly. The cross hairs on Carters router plate were set after he set the jig just right, through eyeballing it and running test pieces through the jig until it worked. That allows him to set it up faster next time. The trick is getting it set that one time. I've been chatting with Carter offline and it sounds like he and his friend have had a lot of the same frustrations I've had.

I'm thinking of making the screw a different way. One with less margin for error and I have more control over the pitch. I probably wont have time to try it until at least next week. Here is a picture that will give you an idea of what I'm thinking:
Wood Machine Hardwood Machine tool Toolroom

http://dblaney.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/a-simple-machine-to-make-large-diameter-wooden-screws-contd/

That rig looks complicated but its actually very simple, jut a long box with some perforated boards attached to the top. There is a lead screw that attaches to the blank and controls the feed rate/thread pitch. If I can make it so the same lead screw is used to cut the screw and the nut then it has to match perfectly.

I know, I know, you guys are thinking I'm crazy for going through all this trouble. But I like the challenge…

Stay tuned, and thanks for watching and your support.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts

Made a new jig

Tapped the leg

Mauricio
ESTÁS LOCO PERO CÓMO NOS DIVERTIMOS TODOS JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #446 ·
Wooden Screws - The Last Word

Ok you are probably as tired of hearing about wooden screws as I am of trying to make them. This will be brief.

New method picked up on this blog.

Pretty self-explanatory. This method has much less room for error than my previous method.

Basically, a lead "screw" I laid out and cut by hand attached to my blank via a coupler I made. I made it octagonal so it looks like a nut. The lead screw uses the same "false nut" the tap uses to advance the whole thing at the proper rate.

Some pics:
The "machine":
Wood Engineering Gas Hardwood Composite material

The coupler:
Wood Hardwood Gas Wood stain Plywood

Where the action happens:
Gas Machine Engineering Wood Metal

So what's the verdict? These are the best results so far. Quite acceptable. I mangled my first blank but I made some adjustments cutting the second screw and it went a lot better. On one part of the second screw I cut it incrementally and I think that helped a lot. The ability to do so is one of the strengths of this jig.

RESULTS:
Here is the good side of the screw:
Wood Gas Hardwood Coil spring Engineering

And the rougher sides:
Wood Engineering Gas Machine Machine tool

Not horrible, I don't think. I can file and sand a lot of that out.

And here is the bottom line…. does it fit the leg I tapped?
hallelujah!
Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Lumber

I'll run a couple more screws before moving on but I think I have what I need to make my vise.
I'll make some more adjustments to see if I can't eliminate more of the chatter I'm getting.

Another great thing about this jig is I made it to fit the dowels I order online. All I have to do is drop a blank in and start cranking. After that I need to make and attach a hub that I'll turn.

Thanks for watching and for your support!

Mauricio

Attachments

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

Ok you are probably as tired of hearing about wooden screws as I am of trying to make them. This will be brief.

Pretty self-explanatory. This method has much less room for error than my previous method.

Basically, a lead "screw" I laid out and cut by hand attached to my blank via a coupler I made. I made it octagonal so it looks like a nut. The lead screw uses the same "false nut" the tap uses to advance the whole thing at the proper rate.

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

So what's the verdict? These are the best results so far. Quite acceptable. I mangled my first blank but I made some adjustments cutting the second screw and it went a lot better. On one part of the second screw I cut it incrementally and I think that helped a lot. The ability to do so is one of the strengths of this jig.

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

I'll run a couple more screws before moving on but I think I have what I need to make my vise.
I'll make some more adjustments to see if I can't eliminate more of the chatter I'm getting.

Another great thing about this jig is I made it to fit the dowels I order online. All I have to do is drop a blank in and start cranking. After that I need to make and attach a hub that I'll turn.

Mauricio
Looking good Mauricio. All that patience is paying off. Mighty long screw you have there bud. What else is there to be completed on the bench now?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #448 ·

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Thanks Shane. The screw has about 20" of threading which is about what the Lake Eerie screws have except that mine is 2" and not 2.5".

But I like 2" for a lot of reason.
-I can buy the blank already made
-I don't need 6"x6" legs
-I'm sure it will work just fine
-And I can use it for other types of vises like a Moxon maybe

Workbench To-Do's:
Make the Leg Vise
Make the bottom shelf
Final smoothing
Assemble the base
Finish (maybe do before assembly?)

Not much to go now, but you know how that goes. It always seems like less than it actually is.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,526 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
So when do they ship? :-D

Looking good, glad you've gotten a process down that seems to work well. In the end, it looks like a much easier process than some of the other ways you've tried.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #450 ·

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Thanks Mos! Once I eliminate the chatter I'll see about maybe selling a couple.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,033 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
I really hope this works out for you. I know you have a lot of time and labor in it. It seems that you are determined to get this and I believe you will.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #452 ·

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Thanks Dave, I think I'm calling it done at this point. There might be some minor tweaks but I'm calling it "worked out". ;-)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,679 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Awesome Mauricio. You are to be congratulated for your tenacity.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #454 ·

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Scott, thank you sir.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,180 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
+1 on the awsome!
I KNEW you get it figured out!!!

That's quite some machine you've built there…

Attachments

·
Registered
6,838 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Thanks for the faith Terry, its actually was quite simple. All I had to do was make a bunch of pieces of wood with holes through them glue and nail them to a base. (not counting the lead screw and guide block) Once my Bench is nice and flat I wont even need the box beam, I'll just clamp it all to my bench. Then it will just be about 6 guide pieces that need to be stowed away.

Purp, thanks my man, and thanks for watching.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Way to persevere Mauricio. Not only did you conquer you learned something in the process. Thanks for including all of us on your journey.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
Thanks L2L! I'm trying to grow up to be like you one day. By the way you havent made any wooden mancihnes lately, dont tell me your getting soft. ;-)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,526 Posts

Some pics:
The "machine":

The coupler:

RESULTS:

And the rougher sides:

hallelujah!

Mauricio
So with this machine… you could replicate the TPI on anything that you can use as the lead screw?

Attachments

441 - 460 of 673 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.