LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
18421 - 18430 of 18430 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Hi Michael, Thanks for the kind comments. Yes they are drilled all the way through. The only downside to that so far is that things fall into the drawer on the left where the holes are located behind the vise. A couple of shorter benchdogs is on my wish list, but so far I have been able to work around any issues. There is no issue with any of the other holes as they are at the front of the bench and the front is 6 inches deep. The holdfast is by Veritas and I bought the shorter leg so it does not impact the drawers either. Let me know if you need further information. I am away from home, but can get specific when I get back.

· Registered
1,819 Posts
What kind of joint for a parallel guide on a leg vise chop? The bottom of the guide is layed out to be flush with bottom of the chop. I see bridles that are pinned a couple times that will work. I think I've also see a pinned bridle with no shoulders also used. Would a haunched m&t be comparable there too? The chop is only 11" tall and very cute. Parallel guide is 2"x1".

· Registered
21,780 Posts
I just used a pinned M&T for mine WC but it wasn't all the way at the bottom of the chop. I really don't think there's a bad choice among those you listed for a leg vise. The forces on it are always putting it in tension and always acting directly (no lateral loads to speak of). So really as long as it doesn't fall out or break through, you're good ;-)

· Registered
670 Posts
This might not be the correct place to post this question, but I'm tinkering with a contraption which I plan to be about half saw bench, half chairmaker's low bench. (making the drawknifing stop block removable ala Roy's "Rustic Workbench" Episode) Do any of y'all have any input on what features you would or would not incorporate? I'd like to hear it.
One thing I DID do was bore a pair a holes in one side of the bench, something I saw in a drawing of a low Roman bench. Found this to be good for holding longer narrow stock on end, held in place with a wedge. So far, it is possible to bore and cut tenons on stock held this way. I'll experiment with some other possible uses.

· Administrator
3,335 Posts
This thread is getting REALLY long. I need someone to start a part 2 and post the link here so that I can close this thread.

· Administrator
3,335 Posts
Cricket, NewageNeanderthal hasn t posted since 2013.

I d be willing to host the next one if you can t get a hold of him.

- theoldfart
I was busy starting a new one before seeing your response.

I went ahead and started it here.
http://lumberjocks.com/topics/302785

18421 - 18430 of 18430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.