LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 18,430 Posts
Al, I do have scrap pieces that sapn to the metal aspects of the Workmates because the MDF tops were sagging quite a bit. You can see them peeking out in the pics.

A question for the esteemed panel: Workbench height vs outfeed table

Givens:
-with the space in my shop my workbench will have to go adjacent to the table saw (as it currently is in the pics) and thus has to be low enough for the miter guage to clear to top.
-the bottom of the miter slot is 34"
-the TWW split Roubo plan calls for a finished height of 35"
-my 5th metacarpal joint (little finger knuckle) is at 35"
- to place my palm on a flat surface while standing = 35.5 "

Solutions:
- shorten the workbench legs so that final height is 34"
---if I do that and if I get another shop with more room in the future, I can put spacers under the workbench feet. What is the preferred way to do this?
- go with a workbench height of 35" and roll the tablesaw up onto 3/4 - 1" sheet good. I've don't know if this is a good practice.

Now is the stage in my workebnch build that I have to commit.

Thoughts?

Bandit, now that I see what you are doing with wide skirt and screws into the legs, I think that extra rigidity may make the long stretchers a non-issue.

Ken,
I dont know of any alternatives or I would tell you. I am not trying to apologize for BC but when i bought mine it stated that there is a 6 week wait. My hardware arrived in 4. I see from there website that Jameel is changing out the design and probably winding down his older inventory.

Try ordering a saw from Bad Axe. That wait was advertised as 12 weeks but ended up much, much longer.

Try ordering some chisels form Lie Neilsen. That took 16 weeks.

RE: Bert's - adjustable and removable bottom full length rest -

I first thought it was a foot rest so that you are comfortable when you have a beer.

Under the of influence Carter, here is an idea. If i ever have the opportunity / space to place my bench out in the middle of the shop, then I'd add a shoulder vise.

I think that it wouldn't be difficult to add an end cap to the rear slab adjacent the wagon vise. The end cap would extend into the outrigger for the shoulder vise.

Things that make you go hmmm.

Mauricio,
That's a clever idea with the dogs. The TWW plan I am using calls for screws for the spring board. I have to give it some consideration.

I always have difficulty with pics. I have to upload to computer then upload to picasa or photobucket then re-download to computer them re-uplaod in the post.

Otherwise, I get a pick that is cut off like Boatman's. Something happens during the upload that allows them not to becroped.
Also, if I try to direct link it is almost as may clicks as the above process.

Thanks to Andy's efforts and expertise I now have a pic of the tapered feet. I have always preferred the massive square legs but there stance seemed clunky and unrefined. I think a little taper adds a grace without compromising the visual strength.

I know some will object because it is just a work bench. I ask - why not?

Thanks Andy.

Table Rectangle Automotive exterior Parallel Gas

Table Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas Outdoor furniture

Attachments

41 - 60 of 18,430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.