LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2201 - 2220 of 18430 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Sylvain Thank you for that, I am curious as to the mechanism of it but I could not easily find more information on that particular vise. Very cool though.

Bench Height My current working table/workbench is about 39" high, pretty high. While on my last major mortise of my bench today I was definitely feeling it in my shoulders and elbows (I'm only 25, so I doubt it's arthritis!). I have been putting a lot of force downward with my chisels and a lot of hammering. I grabbed 4" of scraps for me to stand on and it made a world of difference. I wonder now if I've made my bench to high, but then again I remember that I will rarely be making this many mortises that are this big. I also like a good mix of hand and power tools.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Gant, thats exactly what I was talking about. There is a lot of hand work that would benefit from you being able to get your weight over the tool to use more of your body instead of just your upper body.

The parallel guide on the bench that Sylvain showed uses friction to limit wracking of the vise chop, most of them are made of wood, McGuire figured out a way to make a fancy one out of steel.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
Mos, I thought many times, long and hard (steady, bhog), on the Veritas inset vise for a wagon-type add to my bench. Nothing wrong with that choice at all, to my way of thinking. It's the real deal in work holding.

· Just Plane Crazy
11,542 Posts
Thanks Smitty. If it works it works, and that's what I'm after… it can't be a whole lot worse than a workmate lol

That $80 maple screw, nut, handle, and garter plate that I mentioned yesterday didn't sell, but it was relisted… for $100 (still $10 shipping). Interesting tactic.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Supply and Demand just move different directions in that guys world. You got a link?

· Registered
5,738 Posts
At least he gives. You the handle and the garter too. I would sell them without those, maybe inclide the handle. I think most people would want to make their own garter out of some exotic wood as an accent.

· Just Plane Crazy
11,542 Posts
Yeah, it didn't seem like that bad of a price for $90 shipped, but for $110 after $90 didn't sell… ok.

I should be a was off on a leg vise screw anyway. That will probably be later. I will probably try to figure something out for the end/wagon vise first, though.

· Registered
230 Posts
I was curious about making some dowels from some purpleheart so I can pin my tenons (and add a little accent). Looked around on here and found this video that was posted on a dowel forum about 3 years ago from LJ Edziu. Here it is. It's a great, cheap and simple idea to make dowels from anything that you have. I just wanted to re-share it with all of you in case someone needs it.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Grant you discovered one of my favorite guys on youtube. I love that guy.

You could also make a dowel plate out of a peice of steel you can get at HD.

· Registered
18,689 Posts
I always just made a piece of square stock the size I wanted, then ran it over a 1/2 round bit on the 4 sides.

2201 - 2220 of 18430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.