LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2181 - 2200 of 18430 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
You can hold things like this.

Plus no guide bars to get in the way. All vises have their strengths and downfalls. For me the leg vise has more strengths. I also have s leg vise on the right side of the bench. But if I need to remove it all I have to do is unscrew it and it's gone.
Jim

· Just Plane Crazy
11,542 Posts
Mauricio, what height did you end up making your bench?

When I was cutting my splayed I almost goofed… when I had layed the cut lines out, I started the tape measure at 1", but then went to the length I needed instead of adding that inch… oops. Luckily I caught it before I cut them, so my bench is 32" high.

Ok, so I know Al will get all hot and bothered over this one, but I'm proud of it :)

· Registered
230 Posts
Interesting idea…A leg vise is kind of like a twin screw vise that is vertical, or vise versa (ha). Why hasn't someone tried to do a horizontal leg vise, one could use only one screw and save money, still have the pin parallel beam on one end…hmmm…

Thanks for that picture Jim

· Registered
16,218 Posts
Grant, the leg vise is simply the most awesome bench accessory around… Versatile, strong and incredible effective at holding all kinds of work, the inexpensive and humble leg vise is pound for pound unbeatable…

Stepping of the soapbox.

:)

Good luck with whatever you decide on your bench!

· Registered
18,689 Posts
I've got a 10" columbian bench vise, a veritas twin screw, and a leg vise on my bench. If one of them had to go first it would be the veritas. Don't get me wrong, I love it, I just don't use it as much as the other two. Of the other two it would be a really tough choice, but the leg vice would most likely stay the longest.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Mos great to see that bench coming together quickly. Mine will be 33.5" (I'm 6' 2"). I was stretching to get that much height out of it. I didn't account for the loss of height on the splayed legs when doing my rough cuts. I think its cool though, I'm at the Schwarz approved hight.

I didnt realize you were doing through tenons. Its going to look sweet.

I like the leg vise for the reasons mentioned above as well as the fact that its the cheapest of all of them ;-)

· Registered
5,738 Posts
I'll add to that and say that Moxon type vise will be a nice accompaniment to the leg vise and I plan on making one.

· Just Plane Crazy
11,542 Posts
I saw an $80+$10 shipping 2" hard maple screw, nut, handle, and garter plate on eBay today… But, my back leg is only 3.5" wide, so I'm not sure I want to drill a 2" hole through the leg, if a wooden screw was long enough to go through both. So I was figuring I'd go with a metal screw instead.

I think I've also (almost/mostly) settled on a Veritas inset vise instead of a true wagon. It will be far easier given the scale of my bench. Though I haven't given up just yet, I might still change my mind ;-)

I've been trying hard to not post all my pictures, so I have something new to post in my blog, but here's another one lol

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Mos, you can still glue on some cheeks to either side of the back leg to add some strength where the screw goes through the leg. If you really want a 2" wooden screw I can make one for you, I just got some new Hard Maple dowels and I can give you a way sweeter deal than $80. You can be my beta tester. Would have to be after the holidays though.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Bench is looking awesome by the way. You know you can still make a wagon vise with one of those veneer press screws or shoulder vise screws I'm just not sure how much vertical clamping capacity you would have through the whole which would be the only advantage (besides price).

· Just Plane Crazy
11,542 Posts
you're starting to change my mind… Crap lol I should have made both the front and back legs 5.5" wide, instead of just the front. But then I probably would have had to make all of them that large, or it would look awkward… hmmm. I'll look into the additional reinforcement on both sides, as I would prefer a wooden screw to metal, for no real reason other than aesthetics :)

-
Showin' a little leg, Tony ;-)

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Well there is actually an advantage, 2tpi vs. 5 or so on a metal screw. The wooden screw opens and closes faster. Let it marinade and let me know.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
And the hole on the back leg would have to be slightly bigger than 2" to let the screw slide through easily. Mine is 2 1/8".

2181 - 2200 of 18430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.