LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2141 - 2160 of 18430 Posts

· Registered
16,218 Posts
I heard anything in Crackerbarrel is for sale, just have to ask. Never tried it, but I've never seen anything that good in there before.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
I didn't know they sold the stuff! That vise was perfect, square cross section threads though.

· Premium Member
33,844 Posts
While i do have a bench for the use of planes, I am going to need a second type of bench. I have a few benchtop power tools, and will need a "Benchtop" to sit them on, down in the Dungeon Workshop. Little bandsaw, a small Drillpress, dual wheel grinder, and a Monarch machinist's vise. Will also need to place the rest of the hand toys, er, tools nearby. Maybe a bottom shelf to store toolboxes ( FOUR of them!)

Don't have a lot in the budget, so get things solid but CHEAP. Maybe a couple 2×12s deep? Some sturdy legs so it won't walk across the concrete floor? And, NO to pegboard hanging up behind the bench…

Saws and stuff will get a plywood board with dowels to hang stuff on. Four Tapcons into the wall, with some cleats. Wood screws to hold the ply to the cleats, and hang away. Going from a Pole Barn to a root cellar…

· Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Scotty, someone needs to make a bench screed for the split inclined. I'm also going with the stub b/c I don't want to plane a through, although it's prettier. There's nothing I don't like about Smit's bench, particularly the underside.
I'm torn between tech and lore. ScottyB's or Carter's are the tech kings. The underside of Smit's is the lore king. Maur's is kind of the best of both worlds. I bought wooden screws for the lore; like that wagon for the tech. I'm screwed. Has anyone ever let some all-thread pass through a perforation in their leg tenon? I think I agree with ScottyB that the racking potential for the planing action is probably exaggerated. A popular bench builder is 100 pounds after Thanksgiving. I don't think he really needs drawboring. My tiny bench is a cube, lol. Allthread, lagbolts, and split washers. I think I could throw it off the roof without breaking it.
That being said, I'll probably drawbore, lol;)

· Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Maur, I don't think I'd want to be eating chicken fried steak under a few of those items;) Ask for the franchise owner, tell him your story, and I bet he'll sell it to you.
Bandit, I'm going with kiln dried Douglas Fir just for availability. I'm up to 300bf with those silly rounded edges. I just buy everything straight when I'm at Lowe's. I jointed one and it sucked a lot of size off. In my mind, that was SFW.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Grant, the bench is looking great man!

Unfortunately I had already left the Cracker barrel so I couldn't ask about buying it. It wasn't even the only screw they had hanging which is unusual.

The chop had an interesting shape.
Building Automotive lighting Electricity City Space

And here is the other screw they had hanging. This one also hand square threads.
Wood Space Ceiling Event Metal

Al why dont you just make one big butcher block cube! It sounds like you have the wood for it.

Attachments

· Registered
4,679 Posts
Mauricio,

Aren't you a little skeptical of that design? It seems to me that there are some interesting torque moments acting upon that chop. I'd expect some serious racking but would have to see it in action before passing judgement.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
I dont know I think it actually looks like the force might be more in line with the screw and parallel guide. Even better than a standard vertical chop I think. For example if your dovetailing the end of a board.

· Premium Member
11,636 Posts
Lots to love and hate about that bench. I'm with Scotty; what receives the screw? 'cause it ain't the leg. Is the lowermost point a laminate? Way too close the the crochet and the sweep of the chop, although cool, would weaken the assembly without the crochet. Sans the crochet, all that force would seek to split the grain at the screw. All moot points, though; backseat driver and all.
What I like about it is alot. I actually love the milkpaint. I like end caps. I'm intrigued by the stretcher v. leg joint at 9:00. If when using the crochet, the chop binds against that angle on the crochet, that would be a phenomenal grab. I like the heft of the crochet. I like the waisted deadman. I especially like that it rides on a round/cove. The top is really pretty. I think it's super friggin cool and I enjoyed looking at it.
There's a lot of work there; I'm surprised the maker didn't spring for a nicer screw. I can't tell what's going on at the tail.
It's artsy, but for me, Worlds apart from Maur's and Scotty's.

· Premium Member
11,636 Posts
I just figured out what it reminds me of

The New Orleans-based Confederate Motorcycle Company's "Wraith".

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Here are a couple of comments from the builder posted in the replies to the blog:

"To answer a couple questions: Yes, the vise leg had to be widened, at the top, by grafting on another 2" of material. The widened part is hidden by the curve of the vise chop. As to dimensions, the top (with end-skirts added) is about 6'3" long by 28" wide. Height is a bit over 32" since I like to stand on a thick mat while I work."

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Those bikes are bad aas. I see the resemblance in the leg vise.

Happy Thanksgiving from New Orleans by the way! Visiting the family over here.

2141 - 2160 of 18430 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.