Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1127 Posts

· Registered
5,738 Posts
a 3 legged bench? I'm intrigued.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
That will work Bandit! Looks pretty stout, nice chunky legs.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Bandit, you'll apreciate this. Check out this guys home made quick release vise.
Fastforward to about 3:20min.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
If Mad Max was into woodworking thats the kind of vise he would have ;-)

Sylvain, Thats a lot of scrolling back, are you referring to the discussion about just bending over and moving the pin and it not having to be moved very often?

If I had the money I would go with the cross, it is slightly more convenient and its just a cool piece of engineering.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Man I cant imagine how big a 2.5" wooden screw looks like in my hands. I think its overkill. The 2" I'm working on makeing are pretty big as it is.
Wood Gas Hand saw Metalworking hand tool Hand tool

I saw this one in an antique store, it was probably about 2"
Wood Table Hardwood Gas Wood stain

I was going to say that the old timers didnt make screws that big but then I read this closer… 2.5"
Font Tool Music Art Event

Sorry guys, once I get my screw done I wont talk about them any more, your probably getting tired of hearing about it.

Attachments

· Registered
5,738 Posts
I think your right about the can Al.

3"? your gonna need 8"x8" legs for your bench! ;-)

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Smitty by the way, I bet that iron reinforcement was added on to begin with to prevent breaking or flex in the wood.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Wood Publication Font Wood stain Hardwood

Garret Hack Square Dogs, seem preety easy to make. To late for me to do square dogs, my top is already glued up.

Attachments

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Thanks Smitty, I've been thinking about it all wrong. Yourse looks about 1" thick, does that work well for you? I lot of the plans I've seen call for one that is about 2".

I have a sweet piece of Jatoba that brandon gave me that may work out great but its going net out at about 1"

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Thanks Smitty. Yeah I saw how the back of yours was hollowed out, I was puzzled but now it makes sense. I could do the same with my piece of Jatoba except I could cut off pieces (tenons) and glue them on the back of the main part of the dead man.

Do they usually make them 2" thick so they work with holdfasts? However the #203's are intriguing and they seem to go for reasonable prices on ebay.

I hand planed the jatoba last night, it's so nice I almost feel bad drilling holes in it.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Brandon, thanks, much appreciated but I think I can make this on one work. Thanks again for the Jatoba, it is some beautiful wood.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Makes sense, cant wait to see it!

My parallel gide will be a wooden screw with a nut I can flick with my foot (Al, fire away). ;-)

· Registered
5,738 Posts
I like the splayed leg, its very solid structurally, I mean, I can plane on it now with no glue or pegs or anything, and my joints arent that tight… But also the stretchers are very wide with gives it a lot of strength.

· Registered
5,738 Posts
What about edges of on the base? Just break the edges with sandpaper or chamfer with the router? What do the cool kids do?

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Scott are you going for a heavy chamfer or just easing the edges?

· Registered
5,738 Posts
Wood Workbench Floor Hardwood Flooring

What do ya'll think would look right as a secondary wood for the bottom of the tool well? I'm thinking Poplar or Pine. The top is all Quartersawn red oak. Whatever wood I use would probably be used for the bottom shelf as well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 1127 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.