LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 634 Posts

· Registered
16,218 Posts
As I've said before, this bench has been presented and re-presented a couple of times here on LJs. It has fans (Thanks for the Mention, Al!) as well as detractors, I'm sure, but for me it's been nothing short of wonderful having this bench become part of my woodworking life. There is no way I'd be where I am regarding handtools, craftsmanship or confidence without this bench.

Anyway, there's more if you'd like to see it via the projects for the bench, roubo cabinet and end vise chop in my projects section.

The bench, at it's core, started life as a hunk of oak that was a one-piece entry threshhold in an old home that was torn down many years ago. My father asked why I wanted the hunk of wood pulled to the side when the trackhoe came. I said, oh, I don't know. Just such a cool piece, maybe I'll make something out of it someday.

Well, someday was a long time later and the one-time entryway became this bench. Thanks in no small measure to the inspiration provided by Scott Landis and Christopher Schwarz. I used wood chisels 'with intent' for the first time building this bench. Started my sharpening journey, used my first handplane (Sandusky Jack), and used a brace and bit for the first time building this bench. Solid eastern pine for the legs, asian mahogany for the chops, walnut and pine for the cabinet. All the wood was free / reclaimed / repurposed. The leg vise hardware was salvage from an old alley garage (I didn't know what it was at the time I pulled it out of there, but glad I did). Anyway, enough jabbering. Here are some new, higher resolution pics than my phone has gotten lately.

Wood Creative arts Gas Workbench Hardwood

Across the top from the end vise end:
Wood Machine tool Table Gas Machine

From the tail vise and crochet:
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Gas Machine

A look down the not-perfectly-flat benchtop:
Wood Road surface Flooring Floor Hardwood

And for a never-before-seen look at the threshold history of the bench:
Wood Building material Beam Composite material Hardwood

Attachments

· Registered
16,218 Posts
Kenbry asked: What spacing are you guys using from the front of your bench to the edge of your dog holes?

You'll get as many answers as respondents on this one, but I'll bite.

Some place holes very close to the front edge, as in a couple inches. Mine are further back, maybe four inches, on center. I haven't seen many go back more than that. Why did I do what I did? One, to (ultimately) allow me to use a pop-up dog of an end vise to hold work in the row of dogs, and two, to allow a board up to 8" wide to be fully supported by the benchtop if it's pinched in the center and being worked on it's face. Why 8"? That's as big as I could figure would need such support that I'd make (think drawer fronts of a dresser, for example).

Good luck, Ken!

· Registered
16,218 Posts
Ryan, vise hardware aside (and that may be a big aside!), there's not a wrong answer. Nobody has ever insisted stuff be pinched on center in order for it to be held securely. Too far back, though, and it's more unstable and you're leaning to far over the bench.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
235 pounds of pure fun…

Al, I have my cabinetmaker's bench (like the above) at my dad's place… you want that I should snap some pics underneath? It's got the 'big wood screw' shoulder vise on it, might be helpful. Let me know.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
^ It is curious, Maur and Al, that the person what used that leg vise opted not to replace the front wood chop when it cracked, but to reinforce it with steel bolts and plate. Maybe he was more of a smithy vs. joiner? Or just the fastest, most effective repair because re-making the chop would be a pain? Another option might be the dado that has to be taken from the chop, to house the cross, weakened the chop and a replace just wouldn't hold over the long term.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
@Sylvain - Coolness factor, the Cross Vise is way off the scale. Practical value added to a leg vise? For me? None, zero, zilch. I wouldn't want to hollow out the chop and leg, either. But that's just me.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
I actually like the photobucket iphone app. Go into settings and you can set uploads (from phone) to 600×600 and they're set right for LJs. If I depended on a PC to upload pics, my uploads / posts would likely stop.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
Nope, I flip through photobucket (PB) and select the one I want. when it comes up in the PB app, I can grap the Image (address) URL; I think it's third down of the four that show, but I don't remember… could be the second one… Anyway, once that's copied to the clipboard, I flip back to the entry in LJ, type the first !, tap to paste the Image url, type the second ! and it's good to go.

I don't use the img button or the link icon.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
I should add that I take pictures directly to the PB app on my phone. 'upload image, from camera' rather than snap the pics then upload to pb… it's just cleaner and it's just as fast, really.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
I found my methods above don't work for videos from PB, but… I can select text and create a hyperlink to the PB-hosted video. Check my fan club comment see how it worked… I'd like to get a video frame in the LJs post, haven't figured out how to do that within my framework just yet.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
The deadman ended up being 1" thick to work with the #203 clamps in the picture above; they only hook fully if the material is the right depth. You can see I removed material to get it where it is today, and it was low tech: many passes over the tablesaw. I mean many.

Does 1" hurt in any way? I'd say not. I even use the Veritas hold down with great effect in the deadman (that accessory, while pricey, is highly recommended).

You can use that jatoba in a three-piece assy mode (top and bottom with ogee-type deco, jatoba in between), that 'd be very sweet indeed.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
The 'whack-a-mole' holdfasts aren't what I'd count on in a 2" deadman anymore, but I guess they'd work. Maybe not so much on an assembled deadman… something to think about.

You'll be competing with Don Yoda for #203s; he's been in that market for months.

· Registered
16,218 Posts
I drilled the benchtop for four as shown in the Schwarz blue book, then later added holes in a single row to line up with the end vise' pop-up dog. Then three each on the front legs and that's it. Haven't wanted more holes in the top than that, and the leg holes hold the holdfasts.

Now, use the words butt, hoss, bullocks, fetish and friggin' in a single, interesting sentence… bonus points for mentioning mc hammer…

· Registered
16,218 Posts
Maur, no inspiration here, just hard reality. You can't quit now, my friend… You're almost finished, and it is the finish that lasts forever. Get it right, you can do it. Good luck, I'm rooting for you!

1 - 20 of 634 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.