LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 612 Posts

· Registered
17,161 Posts
lol thanks Matt … maybe once a week you could send me a PM reminding me how soft i am for additional motivation ;)

Would it be foolish to not have a plan together and just start glueing up a top or am i asking for problems down the road?

· Registered
17,161 Posts
I could leave the width one board short because i think id like a wagon vice.

I tend to dive right into things without any plans, get stuck, set it aside for 2 months, get back at it, spit and swear because im an idiot and didnt plan anything, hack it to pieces to make it work, and then try and hide all my faults.

Im also really sh!tty at drawing up plans.

I need to get back to the books and read up on benches again so i can try and avoid my faults.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Yea Maur - the whole shootin match could be done with 6×6's, there's only around 50 out back (it was a big roof)

I really like the french style bench (so far) with a leg vice and considering ive got a quick release all ready i may use that for the end vice but like you said i can let the materials on hand make the decision. That may be the route ill go, forego the french style, rock the roubo, sack it up and get ta work.

Thats it, im loading up some timbers, this afternoon.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Id love to Matt - but handling 7'ers on the bandsaw might be a tricky operation lol. Id have to position it juuust right to allow for 14' in my shop. Im leaning towards a quick n dirty but fully functional bench. As much as i admire benches like Scotty's and Mauricio's, time aint on my side. That and im pretty impatient lol.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
"I hear you knocking but ya cant come in" (in cheech and chong style)

Thats a sharp lookin bench and might be what im lookin for brother. Thanks for the post.

Man that makes a lot of sense too on the SU bench posted above. My carcass saw would certainly make those cuts. Little bit of chisel time mixed in. Stef likey. Your search fu is strong Maur.

I think i would eliminate about 10" of the overhang though. Ive been kicking around the idea of a bench 72" long.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Cutting the 45's on the tablesaw is an option but i may have to relocate the furnace to do so lol. I could circ saw them too. Options abound indeed there bigred.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Ive been convinced. Stef's makin a bench. I predict a 9 month duration. Stef's pregnant.

Rubs the belly. "Oohhh gonna be a scocca playa" - name that movie.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Well done Red - Billy Madison. Minus the smurf wig, she can kick it in my shop, jus sayin. Think the carpet matchs the drapes?

· Registered
17,161 Posts
I think id knock em out with a chisel and my carcass saw, fine tuning with the shoulder plane, unless i bumped into a 10 1/2, then id use that ;). Definately before glue up. I bet i could pump out one and hour with a little Lightnin Hopkins playin in the background.

My shop is directly below our living room and above that is the babys room. I typically only get down there once he's asleep so i try and be as quiet as i can. That and i like hand tools.

I also want to thank you guys for making my afternoon at work completely and utterly unproductive.

EDIT - B Dub - Just my style brother. Ive gotta figure out (fall back and read) on the sliding dead man and leg vice. Thats a must on my bench.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Yup, no memorial day workbench progress for this guy and a fun round of deck painting to be had this week. On a bright note im glad I went with a gas fired powerwasher. Ended up getting a black max / troy built / who knows what with a Honda motor. 2700 psi 2.3 gals per minute and its all a homeowner could ask for. It wont carve your name in concrete but it sure as hell stripped loosed paint off a deck, moss off the stoop and dirt off the gutters.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Lol @ Stef muffin. Made me feel all warm inside. Like whiskey.

+1 OJM. No joinery on a joinery bench. Blasphemy.

JayT - you got me skeered bro. You made more progress in a night than ive made in a month. Im sending a crew over to soak the legs in water then turn up the heat. The ensuing twist oughta slow ya down a little ;)

So I was in the shop boring holes by hand when my wife popped her head in. Im standing on a step stool head down on a brace.

"Don't you have like power tools that can do that"
"Yea, but theyre loud and I didn't want to bother anyone"
"I can even begin to try and understand that" She leaves.

· Registered
17,161 Posts
Lol Bondo. I dunno, there was something about it last night that just made me smile while I was standing over that timber. I was about half way through boring out a hole and I must have hit a pitch pocket. That smell came up and hit me, no not the smell of caveman farts, that sappy doug fir smell. I stopped for a second and smiled. Something visceral about it.

1 - 20 of 612 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.