LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
2461 - 2480 of 2487 Posts

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
I have two NOS Millers Falls #56 bench stops to relieve myself of. $50 each includes shipping in CONUS. PM me if interested.
Wood Packing materials Box Metal Carmine

• Wow
Reactions: Mosquito

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Wagon vise is in and working well. Next up the leg vise.

View attachment 1027156
How are you liking that style of handle for the wagon vise? I've been considering that Tay Tools kit for an upcoming build, but I'm not sure if I like that handle. I wonder how hard it'd be to swap out for something different, like a handwheel or hub-n-bar?

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Ken - I would be interested in one if they are still available. Just having the one Veritas bench stop doesn't work well when I'm trying to use the belt sander. Let me know and I will get a check out to you.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
How are you liking that style of handle for the wagon vise? I've been considering that Tay Tools kit for an upcoming build, but I'm not sure if I like that handle. I wonder how hard it'd be to swap out for something different, like a handwheel or hub-n-bar?
It is hard to say at this point, as I am still building the bench. I haven't used it at all. I do think that certainly a hand wheel and an acme threaded rod would work faster. The price at $27 was so reasonable I had to give it a try.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Wood Flooring Floor Line Wall
Wood Rectangle Art Hardwood Flooring
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Gas
Furniture Wood Hardwood Flooring Creative arts

This post of photos and trying to put the text is has been a real PITA.

Today I finally quit messing around and made the jump on the endcap tenons. Tomorrow I finish the tail vise slots and rail recesses.

Still struggling with this new system.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
One of the Millers Falls bench stops is sold. The other is still available if anyone's interested. If no one is, that's okay, I may hold onto it in case I run into a similar problem to the one Earl is having and decide I need a second one...

Speaking of, I'm a bit stuck with analysis paralysis 😬 I can't decide where to put mine. You guys that use one, show me some pics and let me know why you do/don't like it there? I'm pretty sure I want it right in front of my leg vise but I can't decide how far in from the edge it needs to be. 3"? 4"? 6"?

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
Speaking of, I'm a bit stuck with analysis paralysis 😬 I can't decide where to put mine. You guys that use one, show me some pics and let me know why you do/don't like it there? I'm pretty sure I want it right in front of my leg vise but I can't decide how far in from the edge it needs to be. 3"? 4"? 6"?

I've got my replica centered probably around 4" back from the front of my bench. So far it's been a pretty decent spot for me. My bench dogs are about 2" from the front edge, so this is back a little further. I was struggling with it a little too, in that I wasn't sure what was better. Closer to the front was appealing so you don't have to reach across as much of the bench to plane, but then as you need to move wider boards forward to plane the far side of them to push in line with the bench stop, well now you've got your work hanging off the front of the bench too.

Wood Rectangle Grey Wood stain Table

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
My dog holes are 3-1/2" from the front of the bench I think. I feel like that's probably a pretty good spot. But then sometimes I think "it would be nice not to reach over so far" and the next minute I think "what if I have a wider board?" Maybe I really should hang onto both stops and put one in now and add the second one later if there's something about the first that I don't like....

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
Yeah, that's the debate I kept having too. If I've got a wider board, then I think having it closer to centered on the bench would be better, but then I realize if it's too far back, then planing the fronts of wide boards I'll end up hanging the board over the tool well, which would mean it would have to be clean enough to accommodate that lol

I still have my original planing stop, which was just a 1/8" thick piece of plywood with 2 dowels stuck through it, and glued, that spanned between a dog hole and a holdfast hole. It spanned the whole width of my bench. That seemed like a pretty decent solution too, that I'll probably hang on to

·
Super Moderator
1,377 Posts
Just thinking out loud as I do not have a bench stop but I don't think i would want it in front of my leg vise, seems the potential for hitting my...knee on the leg vise would be higher

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
If it's in front of the vise, the work stops at the vise. That would give me most of the bench to work with and will also keep me from working into the vise. My first thought was to put it closer to the end of the bench but then, like you said, I would have bruises from the stupid leg vise chop.

Second Millers Falls stop is spoken for. Sorry folks.

·
Super Moderator
12,039 Posts
That's a good point, though the planing stop represents the end of where you're planing. I've smacked my knee on my leg vise screw enough times to be pretty aware of exactly where it is these days lol

Mine is on the far side of my leg vise, but hasn't caused me any major issues yet. I might be tempted to put it on the near side of the leg vise if I build a bigger bench. But for my slightly over 4' bench, maximizing the space was more important

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
I've got to cut that outside strip and finish the tail vise slot today. Hopefully I can varnish the bottom of the legs as well.
I plan on putting a piece of inner tube on the bottoms to avoid the wood from drawing moisture out of the concrete floor.

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
One of the Millers Falls bench stops is sold. The other is still available if anyone's interested. If no one is, that's okay, I may hold onto it in case I run into a similar problem to the one Earl is having and decide I need a second one...

If I was a (bigger) jerk, I would buy it and list it on ebay for a profit. But I am not (that big of) a jerk (most of the time).

I put my replica stop near the end similar to where Mos did and aligned with my dogs so that I could if I needed us it with my wagon vise. It basically is like one more dog. It is close to the leg vise and I have not used it enough yet to know if it will be a problem with the leg vise getting in my way.

·
Registered
22,875 Posts
Poor Fridge. Always the butt of the joke. Homie hasn’t been around for quite some time. I figure the wife caught him with his weiner in the cookie jar and fed him to the gators.

2461 - 2480 of 2487 Posts