LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
2441 - 2460 of 2487 Posts

·
Registered
11,067 Posts
Sylvain, I start to sweat thinking about working in a space that small. but if that is what you have, you must make it work. I would think I would have to really think about projects I could do, and only could work on one at a time. I tend to have 10 to 20 at a time in the air, like a juggler, but I can let them roost when I am done for the day.

Bob, looking good. That old gray beastie of your Dad's would cost a thousand or 3 to make today. Plus it has sentimental value, which you just can't buy. I love me a good wall bench.

I plan to start my next bench near the first of the year. Mine is gonna be one of the FUGLY design, but so very high in utilitarian value as to be scary. A hybrid for sure, thinking MDF top. I have the Ash, and Hard Maple for the legs, and skirts, just need to do some sawing, joint's and assembly. Easy Peasy right. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bob, your bench is looking fantastic. I love the story about the bench you got from your dad. I'd say that thing is priceless.

Life keeps getting in the way for me so my progress slowed once again, but I was able to get back in the shop this past weekend and I am getting really close to the end. I just have to finish making the bottom shelf and then just do a once over on the fit and finish and it will be celebration time. I am hoping it will happen this weekend so stay tuned for final pics.

One thing I overlooked when assembling the base, I forgot to drill the dog holes in the right front leg. Since I have a sliding deadman, are they really needed?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Well after a few months of staring at the Veritas twin screw I bought for my bench, I decided to get it installed on the bench I built a few months ago.
Table Furniture Wood Workbench Gas

Table Wheel Wood Outdoor bench Outdoor furniture

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Plank

I also got the dog holes drilled, flattened the top, and applied linseed oil. The bench is darker than I would like, but all of the wood was salvaged from slabs left by the prior homeowner. I feel the cedar is to soft for a good durable bench, but the purpose of the build was to give me a work surface to use while I put my shop together. Total cost I have in this bench is the cost of the twin screw vise. I will make another bench next year.
Not sure about the twin screw choice. It doesn't rack, which I like, but doesn't have a quick release. It seems a little stiff and doesn't move as freely as I thought it would even after adjusting several times. Maybe some one else who has one will chime in with their experience with this vise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I've got the Veritas twin screw. As for moving freely, I almost always run it with the left handle off, and turn the right one. This ends up causing the left one to periodically loosen and rack, at which point it becomes very hard to move. Loosen up the bit the holds the sprocket for the chain to one of the screws and make sure you've got it adjusted square, then tighten it back down. If that doesn't fix it, I'm not sure. Maybe the screws aren't parallel, or maybe you've got something in one of the screws or the chain.

·
Premium Member
I like bringing old tools back to life. Putting together a new shop since 2019
2,547 Posts
if you undo the chain from both sprockets then you can see if the stiffness is particular to the operation of one side or the other. just my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
I believe/hope I've figured out what my problem was. I was looking at the Bench crafted plans and forgot the difference between them and the bench I'm building. I kept fixating on the screw holes for the tail vise rails. I forgot about the outside laminate where the dovetails will be. The screws won't be anywhere near the dovetails. I was concerned that the screws would damage the dovetails. Some times I can't see the forest for the trees.

Anyway between myself, 'Stick in the Mud' and my neighbor, we may have solved my problem. Here's hoping for better progress tomorrow.

2441 - 2460 of 2487 Posts