LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
2421 - 2440 of 2487 Posts

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
First dry fit of the bench base.

I'm thinking I might have to assemble the base on the bench upside down to check the fit. I already see a couple of shoulders that need to be trimmed a bit. I also need to cut a dado for the base shelf and marks for draw boring the tenons. I'm getting real close to the halfway mark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,583 Posts
I tested the fit of the base on my bench top upside down. Much easier to lift the legs on top of the top than the other way around.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Now I have to got back and trim some of tenon haunches. The first fit wasn't as tight with the bench shelf stretcher. It's just being difficult. Besides it's to hot to work in the garage anymore today. Time for a cold adult beverage.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Spent the morning trimming the tenons for a good fit. Pretty satisfied with the results except for one tenon. I'll fix that one tomorrow.

This is the first dry fit of the base in the bench top. All in all it's a decent fit.
Building Wood Floor Flooring Workbench

Tomorrow I get to pull things apart again and do some more work to it. I'm pretty sure I'm at the half way point.

Ken as you can tell this sexy beast has been on the feed bag far to long.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
I get to use that half of the garage/shop when she's not around or I need the space. At the end of the day I roll all my tools back to my side of the garage. You ought see how cramped it is when I park my boat in the back sideways. That's only 4 months out of the year, generally. I might have a friend who will rent me part of her garage this winter to store the boat.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My work space is about 2 X 4 m in the attic.
Workbench about 1.5 X 0.6 m.
No space for machinery of course.
I have sometimes used the guest room as assembly space.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Bondo, I'm in pretty much the same space. I got to get everything squared up to make the final cuts for a tenon in the end cap. Pi$$r is I got to buy another 12/4 piece for and end cap. What i got is not thick enough for the bench top.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
Jeff, I guess I could. I hadn't honestly thought of that. It would work, wouldn't it?

Today I got the holes drilled for the acme screw and the recess. I also finished everything for the leg vise chop, trimmed and tapered. I am liking that so far. Tomorrow it dados for the bottom shelf and the shelf supports. Also some final work on the tail vise slot. That's going to be really fiddly.

·
Registered
11,316 Posts
You all see that nasty grey front bench in the back ground? My Dad had the physical plant crew build that for him and his men to repair the radar back in the 60's at the Condon USAF Radar Station. They closed the station back '70.
Dad got the bench from the base after he retired. Dad never did anything with it and I begged him for it back in the 80's. I've had it ever since. It's been a reloading bench, storage bench and now a work bench. I've remodeled it so many times. It needs some more up keep. I can't imagine having a shop with out it. I've had it in my life for over 40 years. Good memories.

2421 - 2440 of 2487 Posts