LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool Websites for Woodworkers

I today discovered Cian Perez's page, The Index of Fossil-Fuel-Friendly Woodworking Knowledge. This site is chock full of links and articles on using hand tools. A page is also available for power tools.

Cian has gathered information from numerous sources and archived them for our reference. If you need to know something about hand tools, from using them, to who makes them, this is the spot to start.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

I today discovered Cian Perez's page, The Index of Fossil-Fuel-Friendly Woodworking Knowledge. This site is chock full of links and articles on using hand tools. A page is also available for power tools.

Cian has gathered information from numerous sources and archived them for our reference. If you need to know something about hand tools, from using them, to who makes them, this is the spot to start.
WOW guys, this link is a wealth of info and knowlege. Add it to your favorites for future reference. And thanx Flink for the tip!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

great site thanks !

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

Smack! Look at all those links!

Thanks.

·
In Loving Memory
10,319 Posts

Lots o'links!

Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts

Nice link page - keep me busy for days! Thanks!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts

Hi Flink,

Thanks for the post. I will add it to my favorites.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts

This is a great resource list; thanks for the post!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

thanks.. I'll check it out

·
Registered
524 Posts

wow.. bookmarked. thanks.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

Great Reference, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts

Wow, that is one huge site of links!... thanks for the post!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ever Wonder How To...

Many excellent woodworking videos. I stumbled on this link for this site on Reddit.com, from a posted link on creating a solar furnace from coke cans (that garage gets cold in the winter).

Once I found the tool stuff, this is the first video that caught my eye:

Cutting Inlayed Dovetails using the Leigh D4, by Al Navas

I have a D4, but haven't tried doing anything fancy yet, but maybe at lunchtime….

The tutorial is three videos.

I also noticed David Marks and Wood Whisperer videos.

Other than the search, which is pretty broad, you'll find wood working stuff here:

Fine Art - Wood Working
Home and Garden - Building and Repair
Home and Garden - Tools and Equipment

I think everyone will find something useful here. I sure have!

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Ever Wonder How To...

Many excellent woodworking videos. I stumbled on this link for this site on Reddit.com, from a posted link on creating a solar furnace from coke cans (that garage gets cold in the winter).

I have a D4, but haven't tried doing anything fancy yet, but maybe at lunchtime….

Other than the search, which is pretty broad, you'll find wood working stuff here:

Fine Art - Wood Working

Hi Flink,

Thanks for the links. I agree that these contain something useful for a lot of us.

By the way Al and Marc are members here, if you weren''t aware of it.

Al Navas- http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/AlNavas
Marc Spagnolo- http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/thewoodwhisperer

I have always found them to be helpful and extremely knowledgeable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ever Wonder How To...

Fine Art - Wood Working

Hhhe… Yes, I discovered that after I'd posted.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ever Wonder How To...

Fine Art - Wood Working

Thanks for the video. I enjoy watching others work. Hee Hee. I really think its great to view others showing their craft. I also like the fact that many make a point of showing the errors. Helps all of us see where mistakes can be made before we actually make them ourselves.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Etching Brasswork from Using Photocopies of Anything!

Hi There!

I for one, really like the way brass looks with a rich background of mahogany or dark oak. I also love engraved brasswork.

This morning as I drank my morning six-pack of diet coke, I was checking my regulars and came across a link to a person who does steampunk stuff and had a procedure to do brass etchings of anything you can photocopy. It's relatively simple, and can be done with materials you can get at the borgs.

Below is the photocopy "negative" (left) used to create the etched image:

For those that aren't familiar with steampunk, it is a psuedo-victorian style based on a culture that uses steam, rather than electricity, to do everything. And, here's the cool part, steampunk uses plenty of wood and brass!

So enough of my rambling. Cruise on over to Jake von Slatt's Steampunk Workshop and check out the etching process. Take look at some of the other projects, too!

·
Registered
402 Posts

Hi There!

I for one, really like the way brass looks with a rich background of mahogany or dark oak. I also love engraved brasswork.

This morning as I drank my morning six-pack of diet coke, I was checking my regulars and came across a link to a person who does steampunk stuff and had a procedure to do brass etchings of anything you can photocopy. It's relatively simple, and can be done with materials you can get at the borgs.

For those that aren't familiar with steampunk, it is a psuedo-victorian style based on a culture that uses steam, rather than electricity, to do everything. And, here's the cool part, steampunk uses plenty of wood and brass!

So enough of my rambling. Cruise on over to Jake von Slatt's Steampunk Workshop and check out the etching process. Take look at some of the other projects, too!
thats just to cool, I have got to try this, My wife will love it also, she makes jewelery and I already can see her clogs turning. Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts

Hi There!

Thank you for the link. I have been just recently noticing Steampunk design and looking for ways that I can incorporate it into my work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Creating a powered, positive pressure, filtered air-mask

Like many of you, I've looked at the Trend and Triton powered air masks. And like many of you, I decided to make do without one because they are fairly pricey.

Well, today in my travels I found a link from a steampunk site (yes, my old hp laptop is going to become wood-clad and steam driven very soon) for a DIY powered mask.

This is another Jake Von Slatt project. He used a car air filter, though I think I am going to use a cabin air filter since almost all of them are HEPA rated now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.