LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Impressions and Lee Valley Sale

I am in the process of attending the Woodworking in America: Furniture Construction and Design Conference in St. Charles, IL. Today was the first day and I am very impressed so far. I plan to put up some more detailed descriptions of the sessions later on when I get a little more time.

I just wanted to let everyone know that they have a nice exhibition hall with many vendors. Lie-Nielsen is there along with Lee Valley and many others. Lee Valley is giving 15% off and free shipping for any orders placed during the show. I'll let you know what I ordered once I figure it out tomorrow. If any of you are close to St. Charles you should stop by and check it out. Admission to the exhibition hall is free.

Any other LumberJocks that are at the conference also, we could try to meet up somehow.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

I am in the process of attending the Woodworking in America: Furniture Construction and Design Conference in St. Charles, IL. Today was the first day and I am very impressed so far. I plan to put up some more detailed descriptions of the sessions later on when I get a little more time.

I just wanted to let everyone know that they have a nice exhibition hall with many vendors. Lie-Nielsen is there along with Lee Valley and many others. Lee Valley is giving 15% off and free shipping for any orders placed during the show. I'll let you know what I ordered once I figure it out tomorrow. If any of you are close to St. Charles you should stop by and check it out. Admission to the exhibition hall is free.

Any other LumberJocks that are at the conference also, we could try to meet up somehow.
Dang - I'm all tied up in my shop with a project!

I would love to hook up with other LJ's in the future.

I will have to live vicariously through you on this one.

·
In Loving Memory
10,667 Posts

Actually I'd love to go but my wife and daughter in law are both working then and as you can see, I will have my hands full. Been a lot of that lately, hmmm, maybe it is the shots.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts

to far for me ,
can't wait to hear everything
you get to see/do !

·
Registered
3,606 Posts

The show is off just 1 week for me, I will be in the area next week. Give us a report on the show.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts

I have a date with my recliner

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Lazy Coverage of the Event

I got most of my order in the mail today from Lee Valley. That reminded me that I haven't written anything about the actual sessions at the conference yet but I promise I will get to that.

As you could expect: Woodworking Magazine and Popular Woodworking Magazine has covered some of the conference on their blog. I put links here for you to look over until I get my impressions up here.

WIA: Touchdown

WIA: New Tools

WIA: The Hand and the Machine

WIA: New Smoother from Kunz

WIA: Don Williams

WIA: Disassemble This!

WIA: Hand Tool Olympics

WIA: Trading Lingerie for Tools

WIA: $50 Workbench

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
My Lazy Coverage of the Event

I got most of my order in the mail today from Lee Valley. That reminded me that I haven't written anything about the actual sessions at the conference yet but I promise I will get to that.

As you could expect: Woodworking Magazine and Popular Woodworking Magazine has covered some of the conference on their blog. I put links here for you to look over until I get my impressions up here.

WIA: Touchdown

WIA: New Tools

WIA: The Hand and the Machine

WIA: New Smoother from Kunz

WIA: Don Williams

WIA: Disassemble This!

WIA: Hand Tool Olympics

WIA: Trading Lingerie for Tools

WIA: $50 Workbench
interesting thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Tools are Here

I got the tools today so I thought I would show you guys what I got. First you can try to guess the hidden objects. They are shown in their new protective coverings for storage as I am currently workshopless. And if that wasn't a word before then I just created it.

They are the Lee Valley / Veritas Low Angle Jack Plane and the Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Block Plane in Bronze.

I actually got the Lie-Nielsen plane at Woodcraft a few weeks before the conference but I haven't talked about it yet on LumberJocks so I thought I would add it to the post. The leather holster was purchased at the show though.

I was trying to decide which planes to purchase from Lee Valley and I was going to get a Joiner Plane and a Smoothing Plane. In talking to the representative from Lee Valley he told me this Jack Plane would do both quite well and then I would only need to get one plane now. Some sales man he is huh? I really appreciated his expertise though and also picked up the magnetic jointer fence.

I will try to post a review of the planes once I get to use them a little more.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Lee Valley was offering a 15% discount and free shipping for orders placed at the show. So I couldn't resist a few more items.

Holster for small block plane
Sock and fence for jack plane
Aerosol oil for tool storage
A few different types of card scrapers with a canvas holder
and some Palette knives for applying glue, etc.

Just like the infomercials: "And that's not all"

Reprint of Catalog of Misison Furniture
Reprint of 1800 Mechanical Movements
Working with Handplanes
Technical Bulletins

The Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture book was from Popular Woodworking and not Lee Valley but I belive it was only $7 so I couldn't pass it up. Nice hardcover book with lots of pictures.

I won the Complete Shaker Collection DVD in a raffle at the Hand Tool Olympics.

I also ordered the new dovetail and crosscut saws from Lee Valley but they haven't been released yet so I will get them when they are.

If you can believe it, the tools I got were not even the best part of the conference. There were also many surprised people when my wife was right next to me while I ordered the tools. I was fortunate to have her accompany me to the conference so she could learn more for her Interior Designs (and approve my tools purchases.)

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
The Tools are Here

I got the tools today so I thought I would show you guys what I got. First you can try to guess the hidden objects. They are shown in their new protective coverings for storage as I am currently workshopless. And if that wasn't a word before then I just created it.

They are the Lee Valley / Veritas Low Angle Jack Plane and the Lie-Nielsen Low Angle Block Plane in Bronze.

I actually got the Lie-Nielsen plane at Woodcraft a few weeks before the conference but I haven't talked about it yet on LumberJocks so I thought I would add it to the post. The leather holster was purchased at the show though.

I was trying to decide which planes to purchase from Lee Valley and I was going to get a Joiner Plane and a Smoothing Plane. In talking to the representative from Lee Valley he told me this Jack Plane would do both quite well and then I would only need to get one plane now. Some sales man he is huh? I really appreciated his expertise though and also picked up the magnetic jointer fence.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Lee Valley was offering a 15% discount and free shipping for orders placed at the show. So I couldn't resist a few more items.

Working with Handplanes
Technical Bulletins

The Pleasant Hill Shaker Furniture book was from Popular Woodworking and not Lee Valley but I belive it was only $7 so I couldn't pass it up. Nice hardcover book with lots of pictures.

I also ordered the new dovetail and crosscut saws from Lee Valley but they haven't been released yet so I will get them when they are.

If you can believe it, the tools I got were not even the best part of the conference. There were also many surprised people when my wife was right next to me while I ordered the tools. I was fortunate to have her accompany me to the conference so she could learn more for her Interior Designs (and approve my tools purchases.)
that is one nice plane…. one day…. one day…

·
Registered
569 Posts
The Tools are Here

Working with Handplanes
Technical Bulletins

Looks like you got a nice score there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The Tools are Here

Working with Handplanes
Technical Bulletins

The LN low angle block plane in bronze…I have had for about 10 years now, and is without a doubt the most frequently used tool in my arsenal. It is a perfect size and weight, and when tuned properly, can tackle just about any kind of wood grain, etc.
Good choice for sure.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
The Tools are Here

Working with Handplanes
Technical Bulletins

cool tools

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.