LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bringing home some wood from my mill

I love to work with wood, and what better way than to start at the tree. I love to browse through my woodlot and think of what interesting uses a tree could be used for. A Mister Sawmill bandmill is what allows me to bring this vision to fruition. I finally made a trip with the van and brought home a load of eastern red cedar, osage, and cedar elm that came from dead trees and culls. I have a blog called the Texas Woodlot that I use to chronicle the trials and tribulations of attempting to manage a sustainable woodlot in Texas. It also has info on forestry books and my pond that is on the property as well. I will be using the Lumberjocks project page and blog to chronicle what is created from this wood. Here is a picture of some of the cedar I brought back:

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
Bringing home some wood from my mill

I love to work with wood, and what better way than to start at the tree. I love to browse through my woodlot and think of what interesting uses a tree could be used for. A Mister Sawmill bandmill is what allows me to bring this vision to fruition. I finally made a trip with the van and brought home a load of eastern red cedar, osage, and cedar elm that came from dead trees and culls. I have a blog called the Texas Woodlot that I use to chronicle the trials and tribulations of attempting to manage a sustainable woodlot in Texas. It also has info on forestry books and my pond that is on the property as well. I will be using the Lumberjocks project page and blog to chronicle what is created from this wood. Here is a picture of some of the cedar I brought back:
Cool wood

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shipshape shop

Well, bringing home a load of lumber made me realize that I need some organization for everything that has to fit in it. It is a 2 car garage that needs to fit my wife's van, about 750 bdft of wood now, workbench, and all the tools(TS, BS, jointer, planer, sander, and all my handtools). It will be similar to this: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/21309 but bigger. I started it by using a lot of random S4S oak off of a criagslist buy to build a french cleat system on one 20' long wall so it can be modular and moved around. The boards I am picking out had knots, checks, splits, honeycomb, you name it; and the whole load came out to $.60 a bdft so I took the good and the bad. Prime garage storage system lumber if you ask me. I have ripped a 45 in about 200 linear feet of 3" wide oak so far and hung one board with countersunk 4" deck screws. Wow, that made a lot of sawdust. It also made me wish for something a little better than the stock 1952 fence on my Delta Homecraft TS. I decided to upgrade to the Mule Cabinetmaker Accusquare Rip Fence of the 25" persuasion and their nice looking miter gauge fence . Well, I need to get back to smoking some chickens with my cutoffs; so here is a little pic of the TS until I get some of the shop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Shipshape shop

Well, bringing home a load of lumber made me realize that I need some organization for everything that has to fit in it. It is a 2 car garage that needs to fit my wife's van, about 750 bdft of wood now, workbench, and all the tools(TS, BS, jointer, planer, sander, and all my handtools). It will be similar to this: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/21309 but bigger. I started it by using a lot of random S4S oak off of a criagslist buy to build a french cleat system on one 20' long wall so it can be modular and moved around. The boards I am picking out had knots, checks, splits, honeycomb, you name it; and the whole load came out to $.60 a bdft so I took the good and the bad. Prime garage storage system lumber if you ask me. I have ripped a 45 in about 200 linear feet of 3" wide oak so far and hung one board with countersunk 4" deck screws. Wow, that made a lot of sawdust. It also made me wish for something a little better than the stock 1952 fence on my Delta Homecraft TS. I decided to upgrade to the Mule Cabinetmaker Accusquare Rip Fence of the 25" persuasion and their nice looking miter gauge fence . Well, I need to get back to smoking some chickens with my cutoffs; so here is a little pic of the TS until I get some of the shop.
I'd never heard of the Mule system before. Dang what a person can learn on LJs. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.