LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Materials

I've been tossing around the idea of making a wooden plane for a while, and this weekend decided to start it. I'm following the basic plan described by David Marks on his show Wood Works.

I bought a Hock iron at Hardwick's Hardware-it was their last one, the display model. This seemed like a good project excuse to get a new tool, so I went to Rockler to look at jig saws. They don't have any (aside from the $300 Festools), but I did find a good piece of wood. It was in the "oversize" turning blanks section, without a tag. I have no idea what wood it is, but it is very very heavy.

So here's the wood before I start working with it. I scraped the wax off and jointed the faces and sides…

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Materials

I've been tossing around the idea of making a wooden plane for a while, and this weekend decided to start it. I'm following the basic plan described by David Marks on his show Wood Works.

I bought a Hock iron at Hardwick's Hardware-it was their last one, the display model. This seemed like a good project excuse to get a new tool, so I went to Rockler to look at jig saws. They don't have any (aside from the $300 Festools), but I did find a good piece of wood. It was in the "oversize" turning blanks section, without a tag. I have no idea what wood it is, but it is very very heavy.

So here's the wood before I start working with it. I scraped the wax off and jointed the faces and sides…

And away he goes…......

This'll be fun to watch take shape!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Materials

Right on! I can't wait to see how yours looks.

I got a batch of 6 stanley plane blades that look to be from low angle block planes. I thought you and I and Dorje can each take 2. And see how we do.

Dorje, are you in?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Materials

Woo hoo!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Materials

Be interested to see how this turns out. BTW, the Bosch 1587 jigsaw can be had from a number of retailers for around a hundred bucks with a case. Look at Amazon, Woodcrapft, etc. Great saw. I paid 160 for mine seven or eight years ago and it still lives and breathes strong. The price has dropped because it has been "improved" by the 1590.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Materials

I can't wait to see how this turns out. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Initial glue up

I don't have a band saw, so I had to trust my less-than-accurate table saw, and I got to play around with my new jig saw.

I followed the steps outlined in David Marks' European Hand Plane episode. I had to use my table saw to cut the cheeks and the two angles on the body. Then I used the jigsaw to cut the curve. Unfortunately the blade deflected during the cut, so it took a lot of filing and sanding to get it back to semi-true.

Next I need to drill the holes for the dowel, and cut the shim. Then I'll cut the body to length, and then shape the body (without a band saw this will be minimal).

I still don't know what this wood is. It is very heavy, and has streaks of harder grain and softer grain. This makes it very hard to joint, plane, scrape and sand. I don't think this was the best choice of wood for a hand plane, but I plan on building another one once I get a band saw.

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Initial glue up

I don't have a band saw, so I had to trust my less-than-accurate table saw, and I got to play around with my new jig saw.

I followed the steps outlined in David Marks' European Hand Plane episode. I had to use my table saw to cut the cheeks and the two angles on the body. Then I used the jigsaw to cut the curve. Unfortunately the blade deflected during the cut, so it took a lot of filing and sanding to get it back to semi-true.

Next I need to drill the holes for the dowel, and cut the shim. Then I'll cut the body to length, and then shape the body (without a band saw this will be minimal).

I still don't know what this wood is. It is very heavy, and has streaks of harder grain and softer grain. This makes it very hard to joint, plane, scrape and sand. I don't think this was the best choice of wood for a hand plane, but I plan on building another one once I get a band saw.
Nice looking. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Initial glue up

Looks good!

Thanks for the post

Callum

·
Registered
177 Posts
Initial glue up

I just put a new blade on my band saw. If you want to come over any night this week, I'll be home. Plus I still have your belt sander!

I also have a couple of Low angle block plane blades for you to make your next plane with!

-C

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.