LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
IM NEW AT TURNING AND GOING TO TURN ME A HARDWOOD MALLET AND ATTACH THE HANDLE USING A TAP AND DIE,,,IM THINKING THE 1 INCH IS WHAT I NEED,,TO ACTUALLY CUT THE THREADS IN THE HANDLE WITH THE DIE IM THINKING TO TURN IT DOWN TO 1 INCH,,,I THINK TO TAP THE HOLE IT SHOULD BE DRILLED 7/8TH,,,ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS,,,THANK YOU

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have threaded a 1" dowel and tapped the hole for it. I have a kit that supplies the tools and instructions to make it work. The dowel needs to be soaked in mineral spirits for a while (overnight) in order to get a clean cut making the threads.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Most folks would drill through the head of the mallet and wedge the handle in place and glue it. The only reason not to go the route you are talking about is the expense of the tap and die. Anything larger then 1/2" starts to get expensive, not sure off hand what a 1" tap and die will cost, but I am sure you are in for more then any other mallet would cost you.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
ARE YOU GOING TO BE CUTTING STANARD OR ACME THREADS? THIS WILL DETERMINE WHERE YOU NEED TO START. IF YOU'RE PLANNING ON USING A TAP AND DIE TYPICALLY RESERVED FOR CUTTING METAL, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS, BUT I WOULD STILL CONSULT A TAP DRILL SIZE CHART TO MAKE SURE YOU'LL HAVE THE THREAD ENGAGEMENT YOU'RE SHOOTING FOR.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would do what Minorhero suggests. I make gavels and glue the handles in the head. I slot the dowel and put a wedge in slot before applying the glue and driving the handle in place.

Should work well with a mallet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.