LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

....out in the outbacks of waundering o'er hill and dale,
through forest woods of glee-full smells,
i went past a place of timely shuttered veil,
till my first thought was to cast open and lighten this place of experienced abundant wells….

--"i am the gripper of all you'll ever get from me",
said this one who veiled their shuttered expressions in claustrophobic pieces of timber,
and with that remark the 'gripper' closed the door of woodmansee,
gaged a laugh in my direction as i sat noting the tomb of tone at sound timbre….

....and so for all who write in those cellular grains of wood,
the art-full expressions of many sided sounding expressions,
close not your mind to the open exploration of new soundings of vibrant good,
before the 'gripper' comes and locks you in the cell of 'gripper impressions'….

I posted some pictures yesterday of a place I call "Secret Garden", which is about 30 minutes out from me on my atv and then there's the climb to the top….an hour if I'm walking in to stay for an over-nighter. When walking in to stay, I keep this spot as a 'no live fire' campsite and in up-coming pictures you will see why I choose to keep that as the spirit of the place.

There are not many who come this way to this place, and when up here on Sunday I saw no sign of human presence, actually I found this place some eighteen years ago and there never is sign. Back around 1991, I did spot sign of a hunter having been here, but since then….like I said not many come and if they do, well likewise they also leave no sign. This is not a hard place to get too, it's just that not many get out or have time any more, since the cares of this life and all the other pickpockets of our time, are always hanging around to say…."come follow me." And yes, I know that there are those who will say, you don't understand….."I don't have the time….!" But you must first understand that it is you that does not understand, we all have the same amount of hours in the day and week…..24/7, and what we do with that time is what makes us or breaks us. I used to see time as some usurper, an enemy that was want on putting me in shackles, to do his/her bidding and so I fought 'time'. Make no mistake now, what you fight will in the end overcome you and you will one day be old and fill forsaken by all the battles you have fought.

Since those days I have learned that time is a companion who walks with me and is most want on filling my expressions of the 7/24 with all that is 'very good'. I have learned that since we all have the same amount of time, what I do 'with time' is up to me and the priorities of what I want and who I am. So no-more fighting time, I use time as a helper and motivator to achieve whatever my heart can dream….wellllllllll, moving on.

Very few are the ones I have told of where this spot is at and even those I told, never made it here. This used to bother me as to why, but to tell you the truth, now I'm glad since the place of secret garden is to my eyes a place of un-spoiled beauty.

....and so this is from where I stand, as near the top….and I will be posting more of what's on top in the coming blog stories….

--taken from: "A Reverence For Wood"
"In 1765 everything a man owned was made more valuable by the fact that he made it himself or knew exactly from where it had come. This is not so remarkable as it sounds; it is less strange that the eighteenth-century man should have a richer and keener enjoyment of life through knowledge that the twentieth-century man should lead an arid and empty existance in the midst of wealth and extraordinary material benefits.

The century of magnificent awareness preceding the Cival War was the age of wood. Wood was not accepted simply as the material for building a new nation-it was an inspiration. Gentle to the touch, exquisite to contemplate, tractable in creative hands, stronger by weight than iron, wood was as William Penn had said, "a substance with a soul." It spanned rivers for man, it built his home and heated it in the winter; man walked on wood, slept in it, sat on wooden chairs at wooden tables, drank and ate the fruits of trees from wooden cups and dishes. From cradle of wood to coffin of wood, the life of man was encircled by it." -by Eric Sloane; "A Reverence For Wood" and chapter: "The Warehouse"

....and so I will post some pictures of wood….

....'dendrochronology'....the study of events as experienced in the age and growth rings of wood….'dendrochronologist'....one who counts those rings….

....and one more from up on top and out back of 'secret garden'....

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....it was from my beginning that I wrote myself in, it was from before my beginning that I found myself as all-ready wrote within, and so this place i have with wood, is but the expression of one who has completed the beauties of 'wood art'…."

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

till my first thought was to cast open and lighten this place of experienced abundant wells….

said this one who veiled their shuttered expressions in claustrophobic pieces of timber,
gaged a laugh in my direction as i sat noting the tomb of tone at sound timbre….

I posted some pictures yesterday of a place I call "Secret Garden", which is about 30 minutes out from me on my atv and then there's the climb to the top….an hour if I'm walking in to stay for an over-nighter. When walking in to stay, I keep this spot as a 'no live fire' campsite and in up-coming pictures you will see why I choose to keep that as the spirit of the place.

There are not many who come this way to this place, and when up here on Sunday I saw no sign of human presence, actually I found this place some eighteen years ago and there never is sign. Back around 1991, I did spot sign of a hunter having been here, but since then….like I said not many come and if they do, well likewise they also leave no sign. This is not a hard place to get too, it's just that not many get out or have time any more, since the cares of this life and all the other pickpockets of our time, are always hanging around to say…."come follow me." And yes, I know that there are those who will say, you don't understand….."I don't have the time….!" But you must first understand that it is you that does not understand, we all have the same amount of hours in the day and week…..24/7, and what we do with that time is what makes us or breaks us. I used to see time as some usurper, an enemy that was want on putting me in shackles, to do his/her bidding and so I fought 'time'. Make no mistake now, what you fight will in the end overcome you and you will one day be old and fill forsaken by all the battles you have fought.

Since those days I have learned that time is a companion who walks with me and is most want on filling my expressions of the 7/24 with all that is 'very good'. I have learned that since we all have the same amount of time, what I do 'with time' is up to me and the priorities of what I want and who I am. So no-more fighting time, I use time as a helper and motivator to achieve whatever my heart can dream….wellllllllll, moving on.

Very few are the ones I have told of where this spot is at and even those I told, never made it here. This used to bother me as to why, but to tell you the truth, now I'm glad since the place of secret garden is to my eyes a place of un-spoiled beauty.

....and so this is from where I stand, as near the top….and I will be posting more of what's on top in the coming blog stories….

"In 1765 everything a man owned was made more valuable by the fact that he made it himself or knew exactly from where it had come. This is not so remarkable as it sounds; it is less strange that the eighteenth-century man should have a richer and keener enjoyment of life through knowledge that the twentieth-century man should lead an arid and empty existance in the midst of wealth and extraordinary material benefits.

The century of magnificent awareness preceding the Cival War was the age of wood. Wood was not accepted simply as the material for building a new nation-it was an inspiration. Gentle to the touch, exquisite to contemplate, tractable in creative hands, stronger by weight than iron, wood was as William Penn had said, "a substance with a soul." It spanned rivers for man, it built his home and heated it in the winter; man walked on wood, slept in it, sat on wooden chairs at wooden tables, drank and ate the fruits of trees from wooden cups and dishes. From cradle of wood to coffin of wood, the life of man was encircled by it." -by Eric Sloane; "A Reverence For Wood" and chapter: "The Warehouse"

....'dendrochronology'....the study of events as experienced in the age and growth rings of wood….'dendrochronologist'....one who counts those rings….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....it was from my beginning that I wrote myself in, it was from before my beginning that I found myself as all-ready wrote within, and so this place i have with wood, is but the expression of one who has completed the beauties of 'wood art'…."
hmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Is that a mountain laurel in the "secret garden"?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
A secret spot. Ah, the coveted secret spot. You're a lucky man, frank!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Hey…I think I recognize it. Isn't that where the new Wal-Mart is going?

Sadly many of my own favorite spots have been eaten by suburban sprawl.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
....and many thanks, for all your comments so farrrrrrr….....!!!!

--yes Bob; I know what you mean, like last week when I was up in North Conway, up on Cathedral Ledge. I could have shot some photos from another direction, but the sad thing is, while I was looking at a mountain view….two thirds of the way up the mountain was development, like condos and more condos. And then what am I supposed to do, crop the top one third of the mountain….ha! So I just let that one be, the more I go north, the more new building there is going on….ugh! Another way of saying 'suburban sprawl', is lets support 'clear cut', 'asphalt and steel', so the many can live in air conditioned rooms and breath conditioned air at the expense of the environment. From what I have seen, some folks don't know how to live outdoors….out of the city, in the woods….so when they go on vacation to escape the city, they take all the trappings of the city with them….well I had ought to stop, and make this an-other blog story some time.

We once had a joke here, about going north, but where do you go without building going on, and then I have a friend who has a place up north in the wilds of Canada. They fly in by plane, get dropped off and maybe or maybe not the plane returns in two weeks to pick them up….after all, whats another day or two.

Anyway, thats the way it is, find a spot and don't let any-one know where your spot is….and then just keep working so you can pay those taxes.

GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
.. and….
what I hate to see, is when people "retreat" to the north, vacationing spots, and abuse the very environment they longed to be in….
They seek the solitude and create LOUD noise; they seek the trees, and they cut them down, they seek the cleanliness and they leave their garbage…

ok. I'm done.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Hi Debbie;
--ha!....yes I know what you mean also!
Like when I am passing some vacationing campsites for the ones who come up this way, and all those camper-pop-ups all stacked like sardines, one next to the other in row. And everyones brought their tv sets and radios and stereos of sound systems to drown out the sound of the woods and nature.

I have to laugh, the campers are packed so tight up against each other, that one can hear whats going on in the next trailer camper. I have been sitting in the woods listening in silence, when right before my eyes, passes a lady wearing her sound system on her head, never saw me, cannot hear the sounds of the woods and why disturb her….so I just let her pass on by and had myself a silent laugh.

....oh well, all 'just is'!
GODSPEED,
Frank

·
Registered
18,890 Posts
"Reverend Wood"

Reverend Wood

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
I've been one of those sardines and it sure did fill my spirit, being in the woods, near the lake, smelling the campfires, listening to the children playing on the beach, watching the chipmunks….
but the loud music…. the engines revving, the drunken rowdiness…. all that I could do without. ... I could have stayed home.

and now.. here I sit in my own backyard… with 32 species of birds visiting us at one point or another throughout the year, with the sound of the wind rustling the tree branches, with the rays of sun caressing my face, with the smell of flowers gently drifting here and there, ........ heaven. And I didn't have to drive 5 hours to get to it!
(there's no canoeing or flyfishing in my backyard though, although Rick has threatened getting out his rod and fishing for my little goldfish in the pond).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Reverend Wood: Updates"

Reverend Wood: Updates

....and so such is this passing of a way,
that i am become the instilled voice of all that is written within,
as to the coming of my many ages lived inside this cache,
till comes the oneness of all knowing as shadowed between this partition of glassy berlin….

--have you seen the such as i,
where in your dreams of forest tales from hearts of wood,
there comes the dragging sounds of lumber chains before your eye,
and will some still continue on as playing roles while in your sight a phantom stood…..

--swing softly the beckoning blade of this thou broadax,
where as you do the reality of moment vibrates thou inner being,
as if thou wast some behemoth of an african addax,
still dated to tasting the waters of life while next comes seeing….

--and such was i as i gathered the many apparitions,
all the time knowing that i was one such as they,
until from the soft terra lichen felted down of making transitions,
the wooden branchlets of understanding joy-full 'wood joinery' became my cliché….

.....patience-perseverance-peace-fullness,
are the terminology of encrypted word gathering wordsmith's,
as the day breaks clean and crisp across the joinery lines of grace-fullness,
and i am re-newed in the ground work of knowing how to be a woodsmith….

"One of the remarkable things about wood is its self-expression. Whether as the handle of a tool, as a dead stump, or alive in a forest where every branch is a record of the winds that blew, it is always telling something about itself. This is why man has affinity with wood not only as a mere material, but also as a kindred spirit to live with and to know. The children of a century ago were expert at knowing trees and their characteristics; they grew up thinking of trees as having human qualities and almost Druidlike, they tried to acquire the qualities of trees. A man might be as 'strong as an oak', or 'bend like a willow'; if he had proper 'timber', he'd become all the stronger from the winds of adversity." -by Eric Sloane; A Reverence For Wood and chapter: The Warehouse

More from 'Secret Garden' at house of the vale, where silence is a study in the art of merging in with the all that surrounds me….

....where in the early morning sun-light….

....i had a chance to pause, till evening's shadows came cascading along my way….

....and in tis place of perfect gratitude, i stopped and tilted my head upwards to the beauty of the trees, those ancient ones who whispered the wisdom of the ages….

....looking different in the grace-full glow of morning lichen's face ….

....i was still counting my blessings, as evening shadows jarred me to an awakening of my place….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....all that is found in my before beginning, was the remembrance of all that i am, and so in passing this way through forest glens, i remembered the art-full taste of 'wood art'…."

·
Registered
18,890 Posts

till comes the oneness of all knowing as shadowed between this partition of glassy berlin….

and will some still continue on as playing roles while in your sight a phantom stood…..

the wooden branchlets of understanding joy-full 'wood joinery' became my cliché….

"One of the remarkable things about wood is its self-expression. Whether as the handle of a tool, as a dead stump, or alive in a forest where every branch is a record of the winds that blew, it is always telling something about itself. This is why man has affinity with wood not only as a mere material, but also as a kindred spirit to live with and to know. The children of a century ago were expert at knowing trees and their characteristics; they grew up thinking of trees as having human qualities and almost Druidlike, they tried to acquire the qualities of trees. A man might be as 'strong as an oak', or 'bend like a willow'; if he had proper 'timber', he'd become all the stronger from the winds of adversity." -by Eric Sloane; A Reverence For Wood and chapter: The Warehouse

More from 'Secret Garden' at house of the vale, where silence is a study in the art of merging in with the all that surrounds me….

....i had a chance to pause, till evening's shadows came cascading along my way….

....and in tis place of perfect gratitude, i stopped and tilted my head upwards to the beauty of the trees, those ancient ones who whispered the wisdom of the ages….

....i was still counting my blessings, as evening shadows jarred me to an awakening of my place….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....all that is found in my before beginning, was the remembrance of all that i am, and so in passing this way through forest glens, i remembered the art-full taste of 'wood art'…."
No, Frank … Thank YOU.
You are my morning mediation…my reminder of "what is".

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Nothing quite like sitting down on some pine needles with your back against a tree and watching the day slide past. Makes for some deep thoughts….obviously. Thanks Frank.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Yes, and in the forest silence one is deafened by the sounds than none stop to hear.

Thaks, Frank.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Beautiful…

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Wood's Vale at King's Dale" --RusticWoodArt

Wood's Vale at King's Dale

....it was at the sound of shifting patterns of un-solicitated wind,
passing through these gorges of my adorned soul,
that i first caught an encounter with your infinite being of oneness entwined,
where the osculation of your passion and zest remembered me as all-ready whole….

--i was the one who you found striving in mind and body,
and the places of my existence were workplaces of self-expression,
while all the routines of my daily exercises came up naught-fully shoddy,
before the wholly art-full beauty of your spirit manifestation….

--this that you re-mind-ed me of,
was the turning of my world up-side-down,
and so it was that after awakening outside of my self in-duced box hereof,
the first thing you brought forth was my 'giving thanks' as this became my crown….

--all these blessing of life are the harmony of a fruit-full spirit,
and such are the teachings you brought to my remembrance,
as from the past-of to now-of moment as all i inherit,
while ages past i learned the sitting in silence before feasted accrescence….

....all that i am is the grace-full remembrance of from whence i came,
and this that caused me much striving for finding my place,
has now given way to the acclaim of all that i have became,
not by standards of other's worth-but-worth all as i stare into your welcoming face….

And so once again I return to this place of silent sanctuary, where all that is needed is the releasing of my imagination as the images that so dance in my head are brought to life before my eyes. Ah yes, there's a good place to go and lay my head….

....and back there before time, I soon stepped out into the flowing of sepia color, where I contrasted my self against the backdrop of art-full colors….

....now there's a wonder-full wood story to listen too, as I gaze upon the beauty of this moment….

....I don't come up here after the snows start falling in winter, since I would leave track and the many cross country skiers and hikers might find this place, so upon returning in the spring, one of the first places I check for sign up here is….

....and in many….many years now, the ancient fire pit remains untouched….

....and here a story to listen to, some folks reckon that the acorn that falls from yonder tree….is the sky falling in on them, but here sits one who fell from yonder sky amid all the accumulated ground cover….now go and write your own story….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....of all the trees in the forest, i have yet to find one, that did not have a story to tell, when once i decided to stop in my haste and listen to there songs of beaut-i-full 'wood art'…."

·
Registered
35,383 Posts

where the osculation of your passion and zest remembered me as all-ready whole….

the first thing you brought forth was my 'giving thanks' as this became my crown….

not by standards of other's worth-but-worth all as i stare into your welcoming face….

And so once again I return to this place of silent sanctuary, where all that is needed is the releasing of my imagination as the images that so dance in my head are brought to life before my eyes. Ah yes, there's a good place to go and lay my head….

....and back there before time, I soon stepped out into the flowing of sepia color, where I contrasted my self against the backdrop of art-full colors….

....now there's a wonder-full wood story to listen too, as I gaze upon the beauty of this moment….

....I don't come up here after the snows start falling in winter, since I would leave track and the many cross country skiers and hikers might find this place, so upon returning in the spring, one of the first places I check for sign up here is….

....and here a story to listen to, some folks reckon that the acorn that falls from yonder tree….is the sky falling in on them, but here sits one who fell from yonder sky amid all the accumulated ground cover….now go and write your own story….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....of all the trees in the forest, i have yet to find one, that did not have a story to tell, when once i decided to stop in my haste and listen to there songs of beaut-i-full 'wood art'…."
Great Story Ftank. A fire pit full of ground coverings.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
frank, you live in a little patch of Heaven. I'll have to show you the beauty of parkland country in the late spring, someday. Bob and I live in the transition area between the foothills and the prairies. My wife is from Cape Breton Island and says you have to be born in parkland country to think it's beautiful. I told her, you have to be born someplace as beautiful as Cape Breton to think it's not. She still looks canted when I say that. Great read, frank. As always!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
Great read Frank…nice to keep places like that from being spoiled. I look at that boulder and think about the last glaciers receding and leaving it behind. From your description of it's isolation you wonder how many people have stood on that spot since that boulder was deposited?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"What the Wood has Wrote" --by RusticWoodArt

What the Wood has Wrote

....and so once again i heard the song of the tree,
where many numerous wood spirits run free,
and out in the distance of gathered-cluttered there came a decree,
"what one beholds 'just is' a begotten field of wood for other's to sightsee"....

--and so I decided to take a waundering walk, out in the outback of my mind that is filled with all the wonders of beauty, far from the duties of time that have often come knocking at my door, while I am getting better at not answering those hounds of hell….

....it was from remembrances of sitting in heavens gallery,
that i can even now cast off fundo-bobbery,
since now i have discovered the righteousness of giving imagery,
where out from the past attitudes i am promoting the art of cheery….

--first stop on my jaunt, was to reap the benefits of gathering some foresight of greenery, where out here the woods still give out a presence of character, that marches to the sound of drumming wind-swept breathing space….

....can one such as i ever get enough of the wood-space,
and it is in these moments of sharing a bit of cleared up grace,
that i paused and gave thanks for art-full wood's embrace,
before the coming of more machines erased the trees of your smiling face….

--out walking behind 'secret garden', and not far from where I stepped off the face of topographical maps, there remains this past logging place of time forgotten, and who will write their story if not for one such as I….

....why it was only yesterday,
that the loaders and skidders came belching obnoxious fumes of frey,
and workers in hats of orange started chain-sawing a buffet,
till across the land the sound of falling timbers fell in dismay….

--if you will build it ,they will come, and so goes the story of roads created in forest of green, where after a while the circle re-turns and sowing birth starts again….

....now tis time to re-turn to my place in this setting of where i am,
just as the world spins around an axis of that i am,
and when my way of departure becomes as i am,
i will pass the writing of scraps of words to other's such as i am….

--tuning around to re-trace my steps upon this landscape of forest green, i stopped to inhale the essence of joy-full knowing per-taining to what the wood has wrote as within, that comes from having gathered much of a re-newed spirit in-filling, that as I go forth today I can now have much to give to other spirit's along the way….

Thank you.
GODSPEED,
Frank
RusticWoodArt

[email protected]

-
"....what has become of me, when out there in those woods, i paused before a stream to gather a drink, and spied one there in the midst who was lookin' back at me as art-full presence of beholden 'wood art'…."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.