LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exteior Redwood

I am building redwood gates with floating, half lap rabbit overlaps in the vertical slats within dado slots in a rigid frame (glued) in Northern California where we get a significant change in humiditiy from dry summer & fall to wet winter. How deep do I need to make the rabbits in the vertical slats to compensate for swell from wet to dry seasons to prevent splitting the rigid gate frame?

MT

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Exteior Redwood

I am building redwood gates with floating, half lap rabbit overlaps in the vertical slats within dado slots in a rigid frame (glued) in Northern California where we get a significant change in humiditiy from dry summer & fall to wet winter. How deep do I need to make the rabbits in the vertical slats to compensate for swell from wet to dry seasons to prevent splitting the rigid gate frame?

MT
Man that is a good question. There is a LJ listed as "john" on the second page of the jocks listing. He has an outdoor structure as his icon and is from Cranbrook, Ontario. He might have a good idea. I don't know how to "link" you so I hope you can find him. He has a lot of outdoor structure experience.

Most of mine is interior, but I would make a guess that if you did a 1/2" wide rabbet and overlapped half of that in the dry season it would allow room for swelling in the wet. That would also depend on the width of the boards. What area you using 1×4's or 1×6's?

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Exteior Redwood

MT
Here is a link to John's profile

http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/cranbrook2

·
Registered
35,383 Posts
Exteior Redwood

MT
Here is a blog that I posted on wood movement

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Exteior Redwood

MT
Karson's got ya covered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.