When I lived in Colorado, I made a bunch of cam clamps out of hickory and Jarrah. They worked great for several years. Last fall I retired to the South Carolina low country. Today I was getting ready to do a glue-up and during the dry run, all of my cam clamps were stuck.
In Colorado, the humidity rarely got over 30% and was often in the single digits. Here in the low country, the humidity is in the 70's. All the shafts on my cam clamps had swelled up enough to lock themselves in place.
After some passes with a card scraper and some more than gentle persuasion with a mallet, I managed to get all the clamps in working order.
I'm so glad I did the dry run of the glue-up, it could have been a disaster.
BTW, the project is a pair of Jefferson writing desks for my granddaughters. Started them last summer and am finally getting to put the pieces together.
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could
be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
LumberJocks Woodworking Forum
A forum community dedicated to professional woodworkers and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about shop safety, wood, carpentry, lumber, finishing, tools, machinery, woodworking related topics, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!