LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey LJ Masters and Apprentices-
Last weekend I was cruising through the hills of North Berkeley (beautiful drive btw) and passed by three large stumps outside a home. They set them next to their trash to be hauled off, so I threw them in the back of my truck to use one as a splitting block to make kindling, and the others for some rugged woodworking projects.

I'm not sure what kind of wood these are. Again, they are from Northern California. They are about 1 1/2 ft (18 in.) in diameter. I'm thinking perhaps mulberry or walnut, but I'm not sure. I've included some pictures:

The top cross cut (not fresh):

Side bark in sun:

Side bark in shade (better color):

Any thoughts anyone? When I can I'll cut a disc off the top so the fresh rings can be seen better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's really hard to say with the small photos. Get a close up of the end grain.. It's not Mulberry or Walnut. If I had to take a shot in the dark I would say maybe an Oak.

Eric.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far.

I made a rip cut down the center today (ay carumba my arm is tired). The inside is beautiful. Here is a picture of one. Yes, those are socks-with-flip-flops in the corners.

closer view,

any guesses? Thanks guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.