LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
European Beech

At last!!! a wood gloat of my own!

I made friends with the demolition people that demolished the old house on the property I bought. They happen to fell a tree every now and then. this time they cut down a 105 years old European beech.
The log was 5 meters long, about 80 cm wide. they were good enough to bring the log to their back yard so I can mill it at my leisure (really really nice people). I loaded the mill on my trailer, unloaded it, set it up (oh, my poor muscles… the term "portable" is a bit overrated). The next day a friend came over to help with the milling andwe cut it into 6×2 dimensional timber. really nice timber… nice grain. heavy… two people had to carry each milled piece so the milling took most of the day. we wanted to have a slab as well, so we stopped about 1/3 from the bottom and tried to flip it over. no go - its 500kg. luckily the demolition guys happened to pass there and flipped it with a crane. I finished milling it the today. now i only have to load it on trailer and get it to the kiln and I will have dry timber in several weeks!!! joy!

I got about 1.5-2 CUM out of this log and I have a big branch that I might mill as well if a crane will happen to go by.

I didn't take my camera on the first day, so I only have pictures of the second day:

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
European Beech

I made friends with the demolition people that demolished the old house on the property I bought. They happen to fell a tree every now and then. this time they cut down a 105 years old European beech.
The log was 5 meters long, about 80 cm wide. they were good enough to bring the log to their back yard so I can mill it at my leisure (really really nice people). I loaded the mill on my trailer, unloaded it, set it up (oh, my poor muscles… the term "portable" is a bit overrated). The next day a friend came over to help with the milling andwe cut it into 6×2 dimensional timber. really nice timber… nice grain. heavy… two people had to carry each milled piece so the milling took most of the day. we wanted to have a slab as well, so we stopped about 1/3 from the bottom and tried to flip it over. no go - its 500kg. luckily the demolition guys happened to pass there and flipped it with a crane. I finished milling it the today. now i only have to load it on trailer and get it to the kiln and I will have dry timber in several weeks!!! joy!

I got about 1.5-2 CUM out of this log and I have a big branch that I might mill as well if a crane will happen to go by.

I didn't take my camera on the first day, so I only have pictures of the second day:

Good for you Moshe.. I will check this out in JUNE… SWMBO wants to spend her birthday in the Land of the Long White Cloud…

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
European Beech

Ah, June is not the best season in Christchurch… don't forget to bring your warmest sandals!!!!
come over and we will have mulled beer… (yich!!)

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
European Beech

niice score there
that will bee fun
to see some project
come out it can´t wait
and you deffently
have to make something
to the demolition team
as a big thanks and you
will have free wood
rest of your life

Dennis

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
European Beech

That's a lot of nice wood, Moshe! 6-800 bd ft. That's about $5000 worth of free wood!
There will be a lot of beech projects out of this!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
European Beech

Fantastic score! Beautiful wood. Love that grain. All ways good to make friends like that.

Looking forward to seeing the projects from it.

Scrappy

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
European Beech

I have "sealed" the ends with BLO for now. should slow down the evaporation somewhat. I hope to take it to the kiln tomorrow.

·
Registered
28,280 Posts
European Beech

You have a nice sawmill there and have a very good find in all that free wood.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tasmanian Blackwood

One of my fellow LJ's drew my attention to a sale on trademe (our local ebay) of a log of Tasmanian blackwood. I made a bid on it and to my surprise i won! the auction was for 3 lengths of 2.5 meter, ~50-60cm diameter. the tree was over 100 years old. I went there yesterday and started to mill with my alaskan - it was very hard work - this timber is hard!
By the end of the day I had 5 nice slabs, 7cm thick and I am not even 1/4 way through!!!!

I couldn't resist the temptation and scraped clear part of the smallest slab:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

One of my fellow LJ's drew my attention to a sale on trademe (our local ebay) of a log of Tasmanian blackwood. I made a bid on it and to my surprise i won! the auction was for 3 lengths of 2.5 meter, ~50-60cm diameter. the tree was over 100 years old. I went there yesterday and started to mill with my alaskan - it was very hard work - this timber is hard!
By the end of the day I had 5 nice slabs, 7cm thick and I am not even 1/4 way through!!!!

Amazing looking wood! This should make some great projects!

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

Hey Moshe.,.. you did not say how long ago the tree was cut… this will change the time needed to air dry…

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tasmanian Blackwood

its pretty fresh. i think it was about a month or two ago

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

Wow, great gloat. I turned some of that…and my tools needed a whole sharpening session….it is stone hard wood…but a more beautiful is hard to find. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

Looks even better than I expected. Is it simply scraped or did you apply some oil?

·
Premium Member
25,652 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

Beautiful!!! :))

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tasmanian Blackwood

I just put some Turp on it, to show the grain….

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

Very nice score. looking forward to seeing what you do with it
Occie

·
Registered
968 Posts
Tasmanian Blackwood

wow

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.