LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner

Wood from orange tree.

1261 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Dimitris3
I have milled some logs of orange tree sold for firewood, and managed to get some small blocks. The wood is heavy and has a pale yellowish color that looked very promising. But after finishing (clear PU only, I have not tried any oil yet) I get nothing impressive. I also tried to combine it with darker wood but again no success.

I can't find any information on the net, other than osage orange (which looks very different) and use as firewood for barbeque (it has a nice scent). Has anyone tried to make anything with this wood?

(PS: in reality the wood is more yellow than in the pictures )

Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Flooring

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I have a bunch of it. I've used it for various things. It's hard and if you need a light color or a straight up yellow in your project it's a good go to. But overall it's nothing special to pay extra for compared to the many amazing Arizona woods I deal with.

The turning tools I sell are all AZ woods and citrus makes an appearance in that fairly often. I also made a quick plane using some for a swap on here at one point.

See less See more
Very nice color combinations with the acacia and olive. Also your pictures show better the actual color.
So, nothing special for this wood you say - my first attempts gave the same feeling. What did you apply for finishing the plane and the center finder, oil?
Looks like it would be a good substitute for maple when combining with a darker wood. Or a good alternative to pine for cheaper projects.
Years ago I "played" with it, but like you I found it uninteresting compared to other woods.

As you said it is nice dense wood. What I never tried was applying a stain. You seem to have enough to experiment with a stain.
@JCamp: I think maple is more white than yellow.
@LesB: I will give it a try. Maybe a yellow stain will make the color more interesting.
I honestly don't remember what finish kick I was on back then so I don't know what they were finished with. It was definitely oil based.

JCamp nailed it really. It's a good contrast wood in place of maple or something similar. Sure it's yellow but I have a lot of it and I didn't pay for it. I use mostly AZ woods unless I stumble in a board really cheap or get an auction kit for a great deal. So I'll use it and fit it in where I can but it is a small struggle sometimes because it is straight yellow, no avoiding it.
Thank you all for your help. If I ever manage to get an attractive look out of this wood I will post pictures here.
a couple decades ago, they trashed a few hundred acres of orange groves to build a lake project for housing, i managed to garner a whole lotta orange wood, some dried well others not so much, we made small kitchen things out of it, grain was in most cases kinda boring and mundane till an old hispanic guy who came to work for us, used coffee grounds to get the grain to pop, he rubbed it in, and then lightly sanded and by golly there was graining. while not like some of the more exotics, it did make the products look much better, even now orange is tough to come buy, most tree cutters here slice the dang trees into fire wood size chunks, or smaller.
oh well, nice stuff, easy to work with if i remember right.
good luck with it, the desert has some bootiful wood to offer.
rj in az
A short update:
- I tried the "used coffee grounds" idea (thank you rj) - the only thing that popped out was the scratches/cut marks, no wood grain. Freshly ground coffee (grains are smaller) had the same effect.
- Yellow stain makes a vivid yellow finsh. But as there is not any grain visible, it looks a little like painted. The end result is interesting anyway.
In the picture (left to right): unfinished orange, coffee ground treatment, yellow stain. Far to the right is pine with yellow stain.
Wood Road surface Font Asphalt Material property

I made this set of coasters - the top left one is orange wood finished with PU varnish. It makes a nice contrast with the walnut coaster case. Also, it is the heaviest coaster of the set and that adds some value/ compensates for the lack of grain pattern.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.