LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
Some use 'slip stones' (I have a set from Henry Taylor that I bought when I first started turning). They are about the same as the stones crank49 described above.

In truth, I'm not sure it is necessary. I have seen pros and cons on this … some say removing the wire/burr improves the cut, others say leave it because it will come off on it's own when you are cutting.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I go right from grinder to turning burr gone in matter of seconds. I just touch up the tools and back to it! Do have some cheap diamond card files that use from time to time to touch up my tools and may use a piece of sandpaper between gouge flutes now and then.

Was looking at getting one of these stones to hone my tools, but never seem to get around to it.

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/6-Dia-Sharp-Diamond-Stone-P63.aspx

At one time did use a wet stone and slips, homemade honing wheel and leather wheel on my lathe. Think did nothing more than insult my tools with wet & slip stones, and dull my tools with that homemade mess & compounds. Have not used that stuff in years,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.