LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Need some opinions. I,ve only ever used brush on or spray on poly/varnish/NC type finishes and have just found wipe on tung oil in the local hardware. So whats it like. It sounds like a "no muss no fuss" finish according to the label. It claims to be resistant to heat and alcohol damage and only needs a couple of coats and the jobs done. Cost wise it seems to be a winner as well. Any and all opinions/advice for and against this type of finish most welcome.

·
Registered
27,252 Posts
Wipe on finishes are pretty easy to apply and, in my opinion, are preferable to brushing. Generally they have been diluted with a solvent such as mineral spirits and go on easily with a clean cotton cloth or paper towel. The are less prone to sags and runs and are self leveling so you avoid brush strokes.

But I suspect that you will need more than two coats of finish. Generally wiping products need several applications simply because they are thinned materials. When I put on wiping polyurethane I generally expect to put on from 6 to 8 coats to get the build that I want in the finish. But your product should produce an effective topcoat.

There is some confusion with respect the formulation and labeling of tung oil finishes by the manufacturers. Here is an article on tung oil by Bob Flexner that was printed in Poplar Woodworking and is pulled from his book, Understanding Wood Finishing, which is an informative book.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I really like it too. It gives that oiled look that is hard to get from poly. As mentioned, it takes a lot of coats. I like to use a sanding sealer first to keep the number of coats to a managable level. What is different from wipe on varnish products is that you should flood the surface and then check back back often and burnish in any seepage that will occur.

Steve

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
i've been looking into tung oil myself ,
i haven't used it yet either .
what i have found thru google and on LJ's ,
pure tung oil doesn't darken with age ,
unlike other linssed and varnish based .
also that anything that says " finish " ,
is a mixture with mineral spirits or turpentine ,
to speed up drying time ,
and may or may not even have the oil it claims to be in it !
it doesn't fill the pores , that you have to do prior with a filler .
if you want a smooth and filled surface .

frankly , i'm still looking too .

maybe someone will come along and let us know
the facts ?

while we wait for the bus together .

good luck !

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
u can also get seal a cell and arm a seal and u get a good finnish too. and from what i hear from David Marks they are a mix of tung oil and other varnishes well anyway i know they give a great finnish cuz i use them on some of my workings also i have pure tung oil that i mix for my own finnish.

·
Registered
376 Posts
This product is almost certainly a wipe on varnish, little to no actual tung oil.

That said, wipe on varnishes are good finishes, not as durable as poly but other than needing a sanding sealer with very porous woods (oak) they dry rapidly and build up well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.