LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Debbie, wipe on varnishes are one of the most forgiving topcoats to apply. I always advise users to make their own by diluting oil base polyurethane about 50:50 with mineral spirits. You can buy the pre-made products but you are paying a premium price for basically mineral spirits. Oil wipe on poly is my favorite finish to apply either by simply wiping it on or by spraying.

You can apply it with either a clean paper towel or lint free cloth. I generally have better luck with the paper towel route since I find even wiping cloths shed lint into the finish. The largest downside to a wipe on product that I have found is that I often will apply 6 to 8 coats to get the build that I want in a finish. But this is offset somewhat in that the product dries quickly. I can often apply 4 or more coats in a given day.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.