LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
This year I joined with some friends to make wine. I'm new but they have been doing it for decades. Our grapes are imported from California. We run them through a crusher and de-stemmer and let the juice ferment naturally.
Sometime in November or December I will be taking possession of approximately 12 cases of wine which for proper storage should be laid down. I am wondering if anyone has built a wine rack. The space I have 54 lineal inches in a walk in closet. The plan I am considering looks like this:
Rectangle Font Triangle Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've seen that design in use and it does accommodate a lot of wine bottles … But … It is hard to access the lower bottles in the pyramids? I've also seen a design that holds the wine bottles with slats where each bottle slides in and out on the slat . Less wine bottles given the space but easier to get your drink on. :)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ive ton a ton of wine bottle storage myself, but all from pallet wood and very rustic. Its free but its not the look for everyone. If youre interested PM me and Ill send you pics and can talk you through it. Im told I can stop when we can store 400 bottles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I know the importance of keeping the corks wet to prevent air from getting into the wine and spoiling it. I've seen some racks made from pallets but I find pallets are a bit hard to find where I live and I'm not sure its the look I'm going for but the slats idea intrigues me. Elche makes a good point about the difficulty of accessing the wine from the bottom shelve. I suppose I could rig up a hydraulic lift for the whole unit or I could just crawl up to the rack for those last few bottles. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.