LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I "acquired" a new 15,000 BTU window a/c unit and wanted to use it in my garage, but did not want to modify my wall and outside stucco for the hole, nor to install a window as the bracing and building permit seemed too much of a headache and might take too long. I next considered cutting a square hole in my man-door, but decided not to once I came up with this idea:
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Hardwood

This was some spare plywood I had laying around that is about 1/4"-1/2" too short length wise (i'll have to put some foam or something along the top if it becomes a true concern). When not in use, I can easily remove the window a/c and store it somewhere, same with the board itself. I know I'll have to put some asphalt shingles for the outside soon before it ruins the board, or weather seal it. Undecided. I was going to consider putting a platform for the window a/c to sit upon, but it fits evenly and snugly right into the hole.
Now, I have a/c (even if it's just a window a/c) in my shop. We have had about 2-3weeks of 100 degree days here in Reno, NV (happens every year) which has barred me from getting in there even with R-19 insulation batts in the ceiling (it help alot, but still).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the board dry fits into the door way, snuggly. I may have to figure out a way to brace it in during high winds. but that is not a concern right this moment. I will add a handle or a 2×4 board for handles to easily install / remove it.
"acquired" here means it was given to me because of a slight cosmetic defect (a scratch) from a national warehouse distribution center that sends cosmetic items back to factory if it's economically viable (apparently, small items like this a/c are not considered worthy of the hassle to send back)

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funding is at a all time low. i needed "something" to work, temporarily. once some time passes and the wallet likes me again, i do plan on doing a properly installed window (it would be nice to have a window in the shop)

·
Banned
5,794 Posts
A friend of mine did something similar many years ago. He replaced his screen door with a solid door with a A/C unit in it. When he wanted to go in or out he would just unlatch the hinged door and swing it open with the A/C in it. He would just lock the interior door when not in the shop. Said it was easier than constantly opening the big garage door.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Back in 1983, I installed an AC (w/heat strip) in my garage. We had closed it in by removing the doors and framed in two nice windows. I cut a hole in the brick wall and framed in the rough opening. It fit nicely and looked good. You can do it! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.