LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone is using a pin vise to drill starter holes for cutting out marquetry? (Insertion of blade) If so what brand are you using and are you using the ones that you manually spin with the small end or a larger palm ball end or the kind that have the spring spiral turning mechanism?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I use a x acto craft knife that is used for holding blades, you can also hold a extremely small drill in them as the blade holder is a 4 post collet. Presently I'm using #66 to #72 drills. Also I'm drilling veneer and not thick wood.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Mine is a Snap On, a leftover from my working days. I have not used it that way, but it would work fine for that. I used it for small drill bits to keep torch heads amd welder tips unclogged, and for taking apart electric wiring connectors.

Check the vehicle repair shops in your area, look for a tool truck, maybe give them a call and ask when they show up. Mac, Snap On, Matco, Cornwell, they're all good, little price difference
You can find cheaper ones, but for tools less than $20 why not get the best?

Wood Tool Wrench Hand tool Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
One o f the most common pin vises is the one made by General. It has a swivel top and 2 reversible collets. You can find one at your big box store. If you want an expensive one, Starrett has them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.