LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I just happened upon this forum because I have a little project that I'm working on and I need a little advice. I just recently purchased an old bourbon whiskey barrel that I plan on turning into a whiskey cabinet. My project is well on it's way and I have been using a lot of other posts on similar topics. One issue I have is that the bottom of the barrel is really uneven. I don't exactly how large the hump is in the wood but I would guess half an inch, maybe a little less. I am trying to avoid replacing it and I'm pretty sure that won't be necessary. What is the best method of leveling this surface without going at it with a sander for hours?

I've never used a hand planer but that seems like it might be an option. I'm fairly new to woodworking so any assistance would be great!

-Jimmy

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
I'm guessing this is the inside of the barrel? It would be a little hard to plane it down, given the cramped space. What about a false bottom. Cut another piece of wood (I would probably use plywood) and place on top. If it rocks (it will) put shims under it as needed to make it stable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.