LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there,

Its a friends wedding soon and I have decided to try and make a snowboard photoframe for them.
Only problem is… I dont know which wood to use, and how to bend the ends up slightly.
I dont want to paint the finished product, so would like to use an attractive wood that can be sanded down and polished.

a bit like the one shown at the bottom of this page…
http://www.treehouseblue.co.uk/acatalog/sporting_photo_frames.html

any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Ben.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've done a bit of steam bending. I've bent white oak, cherry and a few exotics. Typically the harder the wood and tighter the graiin the less likely you are to get it to bend or hold it's shape. I suggest the bendable plywood and lamination technique that John suggested (I have seen bendable ply that didn't have the kerf marks on it, just an FYI) and get a nice veneer for the front. Easiest way I can think to get the best results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.