LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
So I have the following tools.

table saw
miter saw
router
1 hand plane
belt sander
a few drills and the accessories you would expect
drill press

Looking at buying one of the following
planer
sanding station(might build one)
router table (might build it as well but I needed another router)
jointer

What do you all recommend as my next purchase? If there is a better use of my money for a tool not on my lest let me know. My shop is small right now but it will be about the size of a 1 car garage in a few months.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'd vote for a planer. You can edge joint with a table saw jig, and in a pinch you can face joint with a planer sled or a router carriage jig. You should have a router table, but that's something you can build - and if you get an extra base instead of another router, you can just drop the motor in or out of the table as necessary.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
ROS sander
planer
jointer

With the planer and getting your own rough lumber you would save enough to get a good jointer in no tme if your making a few projects imop.. A Good ROS will help a lot on sanding, which gives you more time to hunt down some of te other tools…. LOL

·
Registered
121 Posts
ROS sander
planer
jointer

With the planer and getting your own rough lumber you would save enough to get a good jointer in no tme if your making a few projects imop.. A Good ROS will help a lot on sanding, which gives you more time to hunt down some of te other tools…. LOL

- Gshepherd
What ROS do you recommend?
I've been eyeing the Makita 1/2 sheet, rates very favorably against the Festool
Or are you talking about a round ROS?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
I donna know.

Maybe start building things and that will help you figure it out.

If you're going the hand tool route maybe make a Roubo workbench, or
a great bench to make and assemble your projects using power and hand tools.

A joiner and planer spring to mind as you'll want square material from the get go.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Buy the tools as you do projects that need them. That said, all the advice above is good and a planer as well as an ROS (yes, the round one….probably Bosch) will see a lot of use pretty much no matter what you do.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Of the tools you listed, the planer seems like the best next purchase, but also consider adding a bandsaw at some point as JoeinGa suggested.

If you want the most objective answer, learn the alternate ways to perform various operations with the tools you already have, then start tallying the number of times you're working in your shop and wishing you had a certain tool. First tool to be needed 5 times (or 10, or whatever) wins!

On the topic of a ROS, I have the Bosch ROS20VS sander and now consider it to be just a finishing sander. I think it's the tiny 1.2mm stroke that makes it so slow. Also the pad is slightly concave, which apparently helps with dust extraction but also prevents the middle of the sandpaper from doing its job very well. I recently bought a Festool ETS 150/3 during the reconditioned sale and it's a LOT better. Even the reconditioned price was pretty high, but the Festool sander is so much faster and has less vibration (though the Bosch doesn't have terrible vibration).

·
Registered
756 Posts
No way I can Afford the Festool stuff so I am stuck wih my Rigid ROS but wish I had got the Dewalt.

- Richard
Trust me, it wasn't easy for me to justify the purchase before I bought the sander, but I keep having to tell myself that my "free" time is worth something, too. If your Ridgid is really that bad, sell it on CL and watch for a sale on a better one over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
No tool in my shop paid for itself faster than the planer. For me the priority of woodworking machines is table saw #1 and planer #2.

- Sawdust4Blood
What you meant to say was---
#1 WIFE #2 Saw #3 Jointer….. the rest is downhill after that…..

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Planer makes sense to me if you use dimensional lumber as opposed to sheet goods. A jointer is an excellent next addition after that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Plainer then jointer or even a combo plainer/jointer. If you look around you can find a good used one for a pretty good price. But buy the largest one that you can afford. I know I went through several bench tops before I finally decided to get a floor model.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I use my jointer probably 10 times for each time I use my pladner. But it all depends on your projects. I buy as I need or until a good sale pops up on a tool I need. Ridgid gets goofy at times with clearance sales. Clamps are a must have.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.