LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've read a few very good reveiws on the Delta 22-580, I know the Dewalt 735 is a solid unit. I can get a used Delta for $300 if it hasn't sold by the weekend but it is 2.5 hrs away, 1 way. I can get a factory re-man DeWalt for $500 delievered to my door. I'm looking at a planer Friday that a local woman has from a husband that was divorced and has since died. She has no clue but it sounds like it is the Delta 22-580. We can haggle on a price. Probably around the $300 range. I'm not sure if the Delta is that much better to fork over the extra $200 plus $55 for infeed & outfeed tables. Money is very tight on unemployment so I can't make a mistake. I need to get rid of snipe and have a solid unit for my year old craft show business. the snipe from my TP 305 Delta has gotten old. Any opinions on the 2 are welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
The DW735 just keeps winning in all the reviews against its competition-including the most recent (or next-to-last) issue of Wood Magazine.

Is it worth the extra $$?? Very personal decision.

I saved a few bucks by buying the Ridgid R4330, and am quite happy with it, but … I understand the 735 has more power and-when used with the infeed/outfeed tables-slightly less snipe (not an issue for me … yet).

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can't go wrong with the DW735. I've had mine for around 6 years and it's still going strong. Snipe isn't an issue if I keep the tables aligned and pay attention to what I'm doing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got a terrific deal on the 735 a couple of years ago when H.D. had a major power tool sale, and have really been well pleased with it. The three blades cut very smoothly, and I very seldom get snipe unless I'm careless about how I support or feed the stock. On the flip side, my previous planer was a much less expensive 10", 2-blade Ryobi. I used that heavily (for a home shop) with many 16' deck boards, and I almost never had snipe on that either. Back to the 735 - one really nice feature is the internal exhaust blower. I have a dust system, and between the blower of the 735 and the vacuum of the dust system, almost no chips come out unless I'm planing a very 'tall' piece of wood. Bottom line - if my 735 were stolen, I'd find a way to buy the same one.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Dave O wrote:

Bottom line - if my 735 were stolen, I'd find a way to buy the same one.

If it means that much to you, just PM me your address, and leave the door open on the pre-arranged night :)

[kidding!]

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have one of the 735's as well and it's just a great tool. If I had it to do over, I too would buy it again. As to whether it's $200 better than the Delta….It's a tough call and nobody can make THAT one but you.

I'm not sure I'd be so worried about snipe. That can be solved by starting with longer stock & cutting off; or with a hand plane or sandpaper. Heck, you could even ask to send a scrap of wood through the used ones to test it out first. I think that's a completely reasonable request.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats the trouble bovine, i'm tired of the extra, time consuming sanding. if i had a drum sander or room for a drum sander it might not be such trouble but i dont. i do thank you folks for your opinions. i planned on the 735 till these 2 deltas appeared. with money so tight i have to think about it. still the best tool is the right tool. you can go cheap on TP and not worry about it later but go cheap on a tool and you will regret it 1 day.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Bill1352- A little over a week ago I got a new 735 from HD for $279. Apparently they are clearing them out, so you may want to scour a few stores to see if they have them. HD doesn't advertise the sale, and if I hadn't gone to look personally I wouldn't have gotten mine, because I called 3 stores and they all told me they didn't carry that model anymore.

Ordered the rolling cart and extension table online from Griz, and for a little over $400 I have the complete set up. Its my first planer, so I can't compare it to the delta, but from the reviews and the price I got on it, it seemed the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.