LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Due to the size of a table top I'm working on I can't square the ends on my table saw so I need to do it with a circular saw.

What is the blade of choice for crosscutting 1 1/2" thick walnut and ash? Carbide, hss, or regular water hardened steel?

The blades I have for my circular saw currently are somewhat dull 7 1/4" diameter ripping blades that I don't think will leave me with a clean cut. I have looked into the blade guides on different sites but I have not found any info on a blade dedicated to crosscutting hardwood cleanly.

Thank you for any help and your time in advance.

Kevin

This is the table top I'm working on:
Wood Composite material Gas Flooring Hardwood

Attachments

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You could always rough cut it and then run a router with a straight edge, and straight bit, which would make it smooth as glass. Just make sure you have a sacrificial piece on the end. Hope this helps

·
Registered
226 Posts
+1 on Kaleb's method. The method of cutting you propose is excellent for rough work and can get you within tolerance for the routing step. Get a nice long bit, a straightedge and go for it!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Font Circle Logo Graphics Label

Freud sells a Diablo finishing blade, available at Home Depot, for $14.
It does a remarkable job of trimming tabletops. I find that with this blade, there is no need for any further trimming with a router.
Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I second the Diablo blade. Routinely use one with my circ saw/guide system for plywood with minimal to no tearout.

I know you're getting the router bit, you and alternative would be a low angle plane to touch up the edges.

Assuming you'll put a slight chamfer or roundover on the edges, any minimal tearout is not problem.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Font Circle Logo Graphics Label

Freud sells a Diablo finishing blade, available at Home Depot, for $14.
It does a remarkable job of trimming tabletops. I find that with this blade, there is no need for any further trimming with a router.
Good luck.

- pintodeluxe
+1

Great blade and a great price.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.