LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hey guys,

I am a notoriously terrible negotiator and coupon-user. I can't ever find many good deals, especially compared to most y'all. That said, I want to pull the trigger soon on a new harbor freight 2 HP dust collector. Where do you find the best coupons and such for harbor freight deals? I get their mail coupons, but the dust collector is typically only marked down 20% max. I have seen guys on here say they got it for 40% off. So, where are these mystery coupons I keep missing?

Thanks. Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday in the shop. (unless you are in the land down under, then I suppose it is probably Sunday)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Every once in a while HF will drop their price on something like this during an event like 4th July. If you are getting their emails, you will eventually get a coupon that will get you the price you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It pays to search the magazine rack for the cheapest magazine that has the HF coupon page as well.
You can pay anywhere from 3.50 tp 10.00 for the magazine.

HF has a frequent buyers club also.
You pay to join this for a year and then present your card at purchase time and get the absolute lowest price for everything you buy, with or without a coupon.
If you are making a large purchase or several small purchases this membership will pay for itself.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
FYI:

A close reading of current HF coupons excludes motorized large equipment. They have to deal with the rising income of Chinese workers! If you do find a deal I'd like to know. Crank49 may have something???? Even at @ 200 dollars you are still getting a pretty good deal? There are online coupons but as I noted you cannot use them, I've tried. It went through but it was cancelled.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
A close reading of current HF coupons excludes motorized large equipment.
The 20% off coupons online (and in magazines) only exclude use on compressors, tool storage carts, welders, floor jacks, ride-on trencher, saw mill and preditor gas powered tools. 25% off coupons should be the same (don't have one in front of me to check at the moment). Don't see where there would be a problem using it for the DC system which is currently on sale for $210 (normally $250). With a 20% off coupon, that drops it down to just under $168 not including tax. Roughly 32% off normal price. You can drop the price down to just under $158 with a 25% off coupon (about 38% off regular price).

And for us old farts who are AARP members, there usually is a 25% off coupon (along with a "free" item coupon) in their monthly mailer.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Just bought one for about $190 including tax and shipping on the Fourth of July sale. I'll take it apart and use the blower to provide ventilation for a laser engraver. Based on what CudaDude just posted, that price is still available.

I also bought online.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Where are you at Digger? I routinely use the coupons in conjunction with items on sale.. in fact, that is about the only time I will use them. Three days ago I needed to get some bearings off a motor armature, and there wasn't enough clearance to get any of my 3-jaw pullers behind them (and none of my other 'tricks' would work either). HF has a nice bearing seperator set that normally sells for $60, currently on sale for $44.99. Used a 25% off coupon and got it out the door for $35 and change (roughly 44% off regular price and I got a free multimeter in the deal as well). Just a FYI, a local machine shop wanted to charge me $40 to pull the bearings off!

There are some things that the coupons can't be used with though.. open box items, tent/parking lot sale items, 'event' sales and the like, and you can't use them in conjunction with a 'super coupon' (or any other coupon). But for regular in store montly sale items, there should be no problem at all. If they do give you a hard time, talking to the manager will usually get results.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just to clarify… About two years ago I bought the dust collector on sale and they let me use the super coupon as well. It's just been here lately that they will not let me. I've tried two different locations in the Houston area and one in Dallas.

·
Registered
179 Posts
They won't let you use it on a predator
engine either. Doesn't say that on coupon,
I went a couple rounds with the manager
but still wouldn't take it. Even the 20%
coupons are getting scarce and they
are for a single item only these days
from what I've seen around me in
Ohio. IDK

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to check the magazine racks at Home Depot and maybe even try Rockler or Woodcraft. I get FWW, but didn't see any in my most recent issue.

I might consider joining their inside track club, but I would want to know how much I was getting off before I signed up for that, though if I bought a welder in the next year, which I hope to do, It would likely easily pay for itself.

pwrstretch, where did you see that $159 price?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm in Des Moines, IA. I bought mine with this same deal and coupon, about 3 months ago. I think it depends on who you get at the store.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
TheWoodOyster, I'm looking at page 63 of the July '14 Wood Magazine and it has a HF coupon for $159.99.

I sent you a PM with the coupon code out of my magazine if you are going to order a DC online at their website. Otherwise, get yourself the July '14 of Wood Magazine and clip out the coupon and take it with you to buy it in the store..

·
Registered
297 Posts
HF has two types of advertisements: The normal "sale" price, and then the "super coupons," which are usually on the front page.

If an item is listed in a super coupon with a code, you can't stack the 20/25% off on top of that. Otherwise, it's fair game for just about everything else.

For example, the dust collector mentioned above is on sale for $159. That's definitely a super coupon. You can't stack the 20/25% off on top of it. However, you CAN use the coupon on the $209 normal "sale" price (which effectively makes it about the same price overall).

Always make sure to check the price. In some cases it's cheaper to use a 25%-off coupon than to use a super coupon.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I got my HF 2HP collector about 4 yrs ago with a Wood Mag coupon for $129 back then.
Then used my 20% off coupon for the accessory kit that includes 20 ft of 4" hose, a table saw adapter, several blast gates and connectors and 6 hose clamps. The kit was about $40 I think so I got it for $32.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.