LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi all,

I'm currently refurbishing a very old oak table for a friend and am making two new table leaves as somewhere along the way the originals were lost. To replicate the profile for the table edge I need to find a Traditional French Table Edge router bit however after scouring the internet for the last two days I can't seem to find the exact bit that will replicate the profile. I've found close matches on MLCS and a couple of other sites, but nothing that will match my dimensions exactly.

Does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions to a specific company/website where I migth be able to find such a bit?

Thank you for your assistance!

David

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Try a search for "Custom Shaper Knives" and see what comes up. One of them may be able to make a custom router bit for you.

Another option would be finding a custom molding company in yourarea who could run your stock for you.

·
Registered
8,537 Posts
Dunno all the sites you've checked, but I'd look at Eagle America, Infinity, Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley, Router Bit World, etc.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all - thanks for all of the great suggestions. I ended up finding one that I believe is a very very close match at www.woodline.com. They had a very large selection and were able to email me a 1:1 scale drawing of the bit itself with all of the dimensions listed (very helpful technician). Since my friend isn't paying me for the project I'm certainly not going to have one custom made, so this will have to work. Unfortunatley, my router only takes 1/4" shanks and this bit is 1/2" so that means I'm going to have to buy a new router - but, I think in the long run a router with 1/2" shanks is the way to go. Hopefully, I can pass along the cost to the client!

Thanks again for your quick and helpful suggestions!

Regards,
David

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a Bosch - bought a starter kit with a table for $99 bucks. Was a great deal and overall works nicely. Speaking of new routers - does anybody have suggestions as to which brand I buy and how much HP I should get? Should I get another fixed base or get a plunge? Any thoughts? I know Porter Cale makes a nice one…..like my Bosch though too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
woodline.com once told me (at a woodshow) they would make a router bit custom if I give them a profile. you probably will never find a matching bit. if that table is factory made, they never use standard profiles. if it is very old, it might even be a hand made bit to begin with. your best shot probably is to have it custom made and pass on the cost.

russv

·
Registered
353 Posts
For a router I have a hitachi with a 1/2 inch collet and its around 3&1/4 HP, have had it a long time and its bullet proof, I also have a fixed base porter cable , but the hitachi is a plunge great for table mounting.

·
Registered
118,619 Posts
I like MLCS they have a good selection an free shipping and also Eagle America. I've used most of the places mentioned here and they are all pretty good. Some times there are good deals on e bay also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.