LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

I am in Brooklyn, NY. I want to make some carving of busts and other sculptures using hardwood logs. I can't fin any around me though. Firewood places all have quartered wood and lumber yards here only seem to have slabs and dimensional lumber. The city won't let you know the location of trees they are cutting. Am I missing an obvious source?

I need logs about 10" in diameter (excluding bark) and around 15" long. I'd appreciate any help. I'd be willing to drive a bit for a good source. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Get to know someone working for the city that cuts trees and will let you know where and when wood will be available or contact an independent tree contractor and let them know what you're looking for.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Logs with the pith are going to crack and split and take years to dry out.
http://www.sculpturehouse.com/t-retailers.aspx
There are sources in NY for Wood and stone and more for carving. A better choice is to use glued up wood blocks. Wolfgang Behl used glued uo firewood to make beautiful life sized figures. Read books on carving and learn who the woodcarvers were. This includes carving spoons, merry go rounds and more. There's ton of sculpture and carving tool suppliers out there. You need to do more homework.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.