LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
I am Needing information from the Cabinet makers on here…......ok….........I decided late in building my kitchen that I need a hidden ventless rangehood. Where can I get one, what type should I get that will do a good job…............. and won't break me up??

Robin Renee'

AKA…............Woodchic

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi GMan,

I think that I want….. a hidden ventless range hood. I have two cabinets that come down on my countertop, they will be 12 inches wide, 15 inches deep, 60 inches long. I have not worked that part of my plan out yet, how I want to finish up above my stove.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Outstanding job you are doing. I think you should get a union card and do this for a living as a professiona like you really are. I am very pleased to see your progress here. As an old electrician I would have to say that anything ventess could work but it also requires a lot of maintenance. Activated charchoal filters would need replacing rather frequently and anything without any kind of good filtering medium would only work to throw and spread around the grease and grime so you will have to really consider getting a good one. A simple search on the internet should turn up many possibilities for you. Great job. Bye for now.

·
Premium Member
25,679 Posts
Robin, We have a ventless. When LOML smokes teh kitchen, it doesn't remove the smoke. If it were me, I'd put in a vented hood and build some kind of valence to hide it. Ours is convertible, so if she makes a habit of it, I can run a vent :))

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Richard! Ha….........professional, I am far from that, I am muddling my way through this. I don't mind changing filters, is there a brand of ventless that is better than the others. What seperates the good from the bad. What should I look for when I purchase one.

·
Premium Member
25,679 Posts
It's never too late :)) Get a sawzall!! Well, then I'd get the best filters you can find to get rid of the burned/ smokey smell or be very careful not to burn anything!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
one of the important things a hood does is to vent moisture from cooking. a ventless won't do that for you. hide the duct in the valance over the cabinets. worst case you could open the ceiling and run ducts between the rafters, but that doth make a royal mess, and you have to patch the ceiling what is over the hood? 2nd floor? closet? roof?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
many range hoods today can be installed with or without the vent I did one this summer(along with a new kitchen and as I recall it was around why 100 bucks probably at Lowes. I can see no reason you couldn't enclose it as long as you leave some way for it to vent.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Could you go through the floor? Check on down draft vents systems. There are some that go behind the stove, take about 3 or 4 inches of depth and 30 to 36 inches wide. The one I used (don't remember the maker) but it raised up from counter top height about 6 inches when activated and then vented down through the floor and out the foundation or in my case there was a cement slab floor so I took it out through the back of some bottom cabinets to an outside wall.
Just a thought. In my experience self venting doesn't work well. They usually have charcoal filter for the odor.

Here is a neat hood that can be ventless with a extra kit. I just installed a similar one in my home over an island cook top. Works great. www.ventingdirect.com/windster-hi-36-36-island-mounted-range-hood-with-650-cfm-at-3-8-sones-four-20w-halogen-lights-hi-tech-electronic-6-speed-with/p416677

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I had a ventless for years. The only thing it did was keep the steam from hitting the cabinet directly above it. Other than that it served no purpose. I'd say that putting a piece of malamine or metal in the recess under the cabinet would do almost as good. The filters don't do much either. Steam is the only thing that makes it up that high.

·
Premium Member
25,679 Posts
I would have to agree COTL. But if Robin is going to put one up, get the best filters you can. The basic unit form the big box store is a waste of money!!

·
Registered
11,989 Posts
Might as well just open a window and stick a fan in it .
The unvented units are a total waste of money…all they do is keep circulating the same air over and over and over and …....
Is your bathroom fan UnVented ??? 'nuf said : )

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.