LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Lets say we are using titebond I II & III, I'd like to hear from others when doing clamped glue ups at what time and point do you feel comfortable and safe to remove the clamps on any given project be it large or small.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Thanks for the replies, per Greg's comment, I'm guessing the type of work I do "box miters" would be considered small projects, hour dry time?

·
Registered
235 Posts
My normal clamping time for using Titebond 3 is between 60 minutes and an hour. When I use epoxy for oily woods I normally keep it clamped a couple of hours or two.

- Greg..the Cajun Wood Artist
Now that's funny. I don't care who you are.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I am just wierd. I have a small oven in the shop in which I heat small parts to about 150 degrees, then use Titebond II and clamps. After about 30 minutes I remove the clamps and return it to the oven for 10-15 minutes. That speeds up the drying time. It is also good for drying sanding sealer on small items. Don't let it get hotter than 150 or it will ruin the glue. I need a bigger oven.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mostly in an effort to teach myself to be more patient (not my long suit) I have been allowing just about everything to set up overnight. No question that the glue is good and dry by then.

Ron

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I asked this question on another site and most recommend to wait for an hour with TB-III to remove the clamps but if you are going to "stress" the wood,( sanding/planing)wait 12 to 24 hours.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I recently made an end grain cutting board of the tumbling blocks variety, and some of the pieces I didn't use any clamps. I just rubbed them together until the friction made the parts adhere better. When the smaller parts became bigger parts that had to be glued together, I used clamps and left them in there overnight.
I glued up 2×6's face to face for another project, and clamped them up for forty five minutes, but didn't stress the joint until twenty four hours had passes. Still came out all right.
I guess what I'm saying is leave the parts in the clamps for 45 minutes to an hour, and if you really are unsure, leave the parts in the clamps overnight if you can afford to tie up the clamps that long.
Another thing I learned from John Wilson from Charlotte, Michigan, is to sprinkle salt on the wood prior to clamping; keeps the parts from sliding around when you apply pressure. Works great.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Murphy's Law…. After 5 minutes and you want to shift the pc a little bit it's too late
After 30 minutes and you don't want it to move it will shift a little.

Seems like that's the norm for me, but actually like everybody has said above,
about 30 minutes to handle gingerly
about an hour to handle a little rougher,
overnight whenever the schedule works that way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.