LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
41 - 60 of 307 Posts

· Registered
1,531 Posts
My report on yesterdays excursion to my shop.

Once I got out there, I shook off the shakes immediately.

I commenced to install my new Triton router into my router table. I had to cut a new opening in my table for a larger router plate. It took me awhile, because I had lay the new plate into position, & scribe a line with a sharp knife. Then clamp down some guide boards in order to rout out the new opening. I ended up with a perfect fit. After fastening the router to the new plate, I dropped it into the table. Then I ran a test with a few scrap pieces. I'm going to like this new machine. It runs real smooth, with plenty of power.
I also tested a new lock miter bit I had ordered with my new all in one router plate, it worked great.

I have to admit, I ended up with a fairly productive afternoon. Now I hope to to venture out there again today. I think today is going to be clean up the shop day.
I like it Dick. Not too expensive, looks good. Nice addition.

· Registered
1,342 Posts

I commenced to install my new Triton router into my router table. I had to cut a new opening in my table for a larger router plate. It took me awhile, because I had lay the new plate into position, & scribe a line with a sharp knife. Then clamp down some guide boards in order to rout out the new opening. I ended up with a perfect fit. After fastening the router to the new plate, I dropped it into the table. Then I ran a test with a few scrap pieces. I'm going to like this new machine. It runs real smooth, with plenty of power.
I also tested a new lock miter bit I had ordered with my new all in one router plate, it worked great.

I have to admit, I ended up with a fairly productive afternoon. Now I hope to to venture out there again today. I think today is going to be clean up the shop day.
Very good Dick. Now the big test is can you do it a second day in a row! hahaha

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

I'm finally out the door right now. We just returned from grocery shopping.

( It may show that I'm signed in, because my Lumberqueen enjoys this site also)

· Registered
1,342 Posts

Remain Calm, breathe in, breathe out….

· Registered
1,122 Posts

Clean the shop day, today! You must use real big scrap pieces, Dick to have made such a mess! LOL. I'm glad to hear you had a productive day and that the router and new plate functioned as desired.

· Registered
970 Posts

I have two different sizes of lock-miter bits from Lee Valley. I must say that I've never had a lot of success with these. They are very difficult to setup.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Thanks Don
I just tried it on some scrap, & not a real project yet. You never know I might have the same problems as you've had. I'll know more when it comes to the real thing.

· Registered
1,531 Posts

Well if you've ever done raised panels with a router, it's probably a lot like aligning the stile/rail cutters. And Don, if it isnt too late, you can always throw them in the box and send them to me and I can check them out for you, Buddy. HAHAHAHA !!!!

· Registered
1,342 Posts

There you go, donating tools to fellow lumberjocks. I am accepting such donations. I am not quite tool poor, but not up to the level of Dick's shop yet. (I have only one router).

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

I have one piece of equipment, & I'm contemplating on what to do with it. It's an Stanley overarm router, or pin router. It's taking up a lot of space which I don't have, & I hardly ever use it. I'll have to get some images of it, so you can see what it looks like.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

I found this on Google. Mine doesn't have the pedestal, so I made my own base. It takes up about 36" X 42" of floor space.

· Registered
1,342 Posts

Interesting contraption. What is the advantages of using the Pin Router anyway?

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

You put fasten the template you're copying underneath your material. It can be used for mortising also.

· Registered
1,342 Posts

Ahh, mortising. That will get Obi interested.

Does the copying from underneath method work better than from being on the top? I have not heard much about pin routers until recently.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

Pin router: The overarm router is basically a shaper with the cutting tool above the table. Not only can it shape and mold the outside edge of stock, it can also plunge-cut, groove, bore, and excavate for inlay. It can cut mortises, tenons, and rabbets, and is good at making identical parts. In this article, Dennis R. Wilson explains six basic ways of operating the router, which cutters are best to use, and how to use one safely. Side information covers homemade overhead and pin routers.
I hope you can open this PDF file from FWW.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

Here are some images of my pin router.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'm changing my tune about my pin router

Remember yesterday, I was thinking about getting rid of that big old Stanley Pin Router. After looking at what it can be used for, I've changed my mind. I dug out this big chunk of Birch sawed from a stump. (A logger was kind enough to leave it there after cutting it.) In about 2 hours I flattened the thing out, pretty handy hey.
For all the years I've had this machine, my only thought of for using this was pin routing. I'm now going to make fence setup, so I can drill mortises with it.

This thing was cut at an angle, & was about 4" thick. now it's about 2 1/2 " thick

After some sanding, I gave it a coat of Linseed Oil, to see how it looks.

I'm planning on making a clock out of it.

· Registered
9,509 Posts

Remember yesterday, I was thinking about getting rid of that big old Stanley Pin Router. After looking at what it can be used for, I've changed my mind. I dug out this big chunk of Birch sawed from a stump. (A logger was kind enough to leave it there after cutting it.) In about 2 hours I flattened the thing out, pretty handy hey.
For all the years I've had this machine, my only thought of for using this was pin routing. I'm now going to make fence setup, so I can drill mortises with it.

This thing was cut at an angle, & was about 4" thick. now it's about 2 1/2 " thick

This looks quite a bit easier to use and more flexible than the router jigs I have seen for similar purposes. It will make a great clock.

· Registered
9,138 Posts

Very nice Dick.

· Registered
970 Posts

Dick, the clock will be very heavy. Do you plan to wall mount it?

41 - 60 of 307 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.