LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revamping my Dust Collector ductwork

I just put this into this series to tie things together, but it's not in the proper order, so bare with me..

Hi,
Today, 6/21/2007, I changed the name on this blog, so members could find it easier.

Things sure get haphazard, & messed up when you by a new piece of equipment, especially when you're cramped for space. I bought a new planer about a year ago, & I've been in a tangle ever since.

The first thing I had to do was rearrange all my power tools. After that I had to relocate all of my dust collector ductwork. I decided to replace the 4" plastic pipe with sheet metal. I also bought some new fangled blast gates from Penn State Industries, equipped with switches that turn on the dust collector when each gate is opened.

With the new pipe I ran a 5" main line the length of my shop, branching branching off with 4" to each machine. After cranking it up , & running it the first time, I notice the system seemed much quieter. I guess using a 5" main cut down on the friction.

Now that this is done I need to straighten out the rest of my shop, & start producing.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I just put this into this series to tie things together, but it's not in the proper order, so bare with me..

Hi,
Today, 6/21/2007, I changed the name on this blog, so members could find it easier.

Things sure get haphazard, & messed up when you by a new piece of equipment, especially when you're cramped for space. I bought a new planer about a year ago, & I've been in a tangle ever since.

The first thing I had to do was rearrange all my power tools. After that I had to relocate all of my dust collector ductwork. I decided to replace the 4" plastic pipe with sheet metal. I also bought some new fangled blast gates from Penn State Industries, equipped with switches that turn on the dust collector when each gate is opened.

With the new pipe I ran a 5" main line the length of my shop, branching branching off with 4" to each machine. After cranking it up , & running it the first time, I notice the system seemed much quieter. I guess using a 5" main cut down on the friction.

Now that this is done I need to straighten out the rest of my shop, & start producing.
Hi Bruce,
You make me so envious, You could fit 5 of my shops into yours.

It just so happens that December 2006 issue of Popular Woodworking has just what you need. It should be available at your magazine store right now.
It's a fairly good article.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Woodworking Essentials: Machine Placement
by Scott Gibson
Page number: 49; Article length: 8 pp.
The right machine in the right place will make a huge difference is making your workshop time more efficient and enjoyable. Learn how to arrange your shop for easy workflow and see how other woodworkers have handled this situation.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hi,

Hi Bruce,
This might help you instantly. It's very informative.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00102.asp?

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi,

Bruce,
Glad it helped, but I'm still jealousof all that room.
I bought my dust collector from Pennstate Industries. They have a ductwork design program if if you haven't installed all of your ductwork yet. It may help you out
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ductdes.html

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi,

Hi,
I just renamed this Blog, for those interested in dust control.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things to do 12/04/2006

This one is also out of the order intended, but I'd like to keep these things together.

I still haven't completed the workshop reorganization project. There seems to be so many distractions that sidetrack me.

I recently made a combination shield, & dust hood for my lathe. I looked at a lot of them that you can purchase, but I opted to design my own to fit my own lathe better. It slides under my lathe bed.

I guess you can put this into "Getting workshop organized", category.

I also shopped around the INTERNET for a lathe chuck for my ancient Craftsman Lathe. I found one I liked at Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6264. I just received it a couple of days ago, & haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It should be a new experience for me, after many years of using a faceplate.

I've also been surfing the INTERNET, trying to find Secretary desk plans. I haven't found any that have satisfied my appetite, so I guess I'm going to haul out my drawing board, & design my own. That's usually what happens to me on quite a few of my projects.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Things to do 12/04/2006

This one is also out of the order intended, but I'd like to keep these things together.

I still haven't completed the workshop reorganization project. There seems to be so many distractions that sidetrack me.

I recently made a combination shield, & dust hood for my lathe. I looked at a lot of them that you can purchase, but I opted to design my own to fit my own lathe better. It slides under my lathe bed.

I also shopped around the INTERNET for a lathe chuck for my ancient Craftsman Lathe. I found one I liked at Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6264. I just received it a couple of days ago, & haven't had a chance to try it out yet. It should be a new experience for me, after many years of using a faceplate.

I've also been surfing the INTERNET, trying to find Secretary desk plans. I haven't found any that have satisfied my appetite, so I guess I'm going to haul out my drawing board, & design my own. That's usually what happens to me on quite a few of my projects.
I was just outside shoveling our sidewalk. We finally got a little 4" snow cover to help insulate the ground this winter.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Things to do 12/04/2006

Sorry Dennis,
At the rate I'm going, I'm going to be an old geezer before I finish my list.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Things to do 12/04/2006

Us old Geezers need every bit of respect we can get, & then some. My Father-in-law used to say, "Don't make fun of an old person, because someday you'll be old". LOL

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Trying my best to get back in my shop !!

I've been spending to much time on my PC. So I'm kicking my butt out to my shop, & see what I can get accomplished.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I've been spending to much time on my PC. So I'm kicking my butt out to my shop, & see what I can get accomplished.
I hope I don't get withdrawl, it's going to be real hard, I'll have to have my better half keep me informed if anything real important comes up.
I hope this will be easier than quitting smoking, which I did when I was 7 years old.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Bill
Don't you have lights in your shop ?

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

I hear you Bill. Like making hay when the sun shines.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Krum
I recommend getting a Logman tenon maker. It's a fun machine, & it makes things a lot quicker< & easier. I didn't have it when I made the Arbor. Also get the book they have. It'll help a lot. They show wood dowels to lock them together, but I use exterior deck screws of various sizes. If you get a tenon maker, it gets addictive.
Also check this Blog.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I'm finally cutting the cord !!!! LOL

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

JP,
When you finish that rack, fill it up with wine, & bring it over to her, & maybe pop that big question. Ask her which bottle she'd like to open first!!! LOL

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

You may have noticed, I just returned from my old shop. I shook off the shakes, & I installed my new Triton router. It took awhile, I had to cut a new opening in my table for a larger router plate. I got a real good fit,. After that I ran a few scrap pieces through the router. I'm going to like this new machine. It runs real smooth, with plenty of power. I tried a new lock miter bit I had ordered with my new router plate, it worked great.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I had to make some parquet tiles yesterday.

I misjudged the amount of tiles I had, so I manufactured some more yesterday.

I guess I miscounted the bundles I had made up.

I couldn't find any to buy, so I made some.

I made about 60 more tiles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the area I have left to do in one corner of the main shop area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's some views of the tiles I made.

I used some Black Ash instead of Oak, but it's what I had in my stockpile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I planed the boards to 1/2", then cut them to 3" X 9". Then chamfered all the edges.

A long drawn out process. The Ash look similar to Oak. Good enough for a shop floor

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·

I planed the boards to 1/2", then cut them to 3" X 9". Then chamfered all the edges.

A long drawn out process. The Ash look similar to Oak. Good enough for a shop floor

Thanks, Cory, do you believe I really made them?

David, I grew up in the big depression.

Kindlingmaker, We have a straw, mud floor in our house. The other tiles are salvaged from a job.

Jim! It's not laminated, but it should work in the shop.

· Registered
4,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·

Thank you Grumpy!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.