LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
I'm gearing up to build a new workbench. Old bench will be recycled for lumber. This time I can afford to make it the way I want, with a nice Benchcrafted Glide-powered leg vise. oo lala!

Also treating myself to a Veritas large router plane. I tried one at a friend's house, and zomg you might think meh, a router plane is simple, what's the big deal? It is so smooth and controllable, and you can turn the cutter 180 degrees to get into tight spots.

· Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Ellen I'll be doing the same and hopefully sooner rather than later. But I have one project on my current bench just sitting there waiting on my fever to break lol

Current project sitting on my bench is a small vanity table I saw in FWW, for the powder room. I'm using walnut and QS white oak. I have most everything milled, but then I caught something and the project got put on hold. I hope I can finish it up this week.

· Registered
118 Posts
Current project sitting on my bench is a small vanity table I saw in FWW, for the powder room. I'm using walnut and QS white oak. I have most everything milled, but then I caught something and the project got put on hold. I hope I can finish it up this week.
My two favorite woods! QS white oak is the best. You will post some pics, I hope.

· Registered
1,731 Posts
The project on the staining/finish table is a repair/restoration of a wall hanging gun rack. Damaged by a moving company. Made new left and right sides with mahogany. Just completed applying the finishes, then need to reattach the cabinet door & apply black flocking to the saddles. The current project on my workbench is making two mahogany wooden urns. For a local Funeral Home. Next will be a repair/restoration of an old Tea Table Cart. All four casters are broken off at the legs. Will need to make new lower legs to attach the original casters back. Then I need to get started with the project for the current LJ "Turning Swap 2023".
Brown Wood Flooring World Rectangle
Wood Gas Composite material Technology Engineering
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Flooring Varnish

· Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Finally felt good enough to get back down to the shop and do a little something to further things along.

So this is the table I am in the process of making. (That maple is gorgeous but I don't currently have any)

Furniture Table Wood Outdoor furniture Rectangle

I am obviously using different woods, but I'm also changing some of the proportions, slightly.

I had originally started to mill the legs in QSWO but then decided to use some walnut that I have for quite a while that has a nice curl in the figure. I'm using Dominos vs M&T for simplicity.

Rectangle Wood Floor Flooring Wheel

I have a suitably sized piece of walnut for the top, but I may be digging into my walnut stash and gluing up a top that has the same curl in the figure. Been waiting on a project for this nice board, but it may have to wait a bit longer. :)

Table Wood Television Floor Flooring

This is the jig that holds the template for the double curve in the legs.

Wood Naval architecture Urban design Composite material Engineering

Wood Floor Flooring Composite material Gas

It's two-sided and all four sides of each leg get milled using this 2"x7/8" compression bit. Makes an amazing sound when spinning at 20k rpms lol

Asphalt Road surface Electric blue Bumper Wood

The jig for the leg took a bit of fine tuning. Even though the authors plans are pretty complete, there were some areas that were not explained well. The one leg I have milled I finished with a draw knife, block plane and card scraper. I used that to go back to the jig/template to refine it. I think it's where it needs to be to produce the legs accurately.

So far it's been a fun project. Heck the jig/template was a project in itself. I think I already have another project I'll be using it for, so not a one off use :)

· Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Looking good and time consuming..
Thanks. Time consuming? Isn't this why we do woodworking? lol Besides, it's too cold for golf here in Western PA lol

I had to modify the the template by making it wider. I also had to lear how it was working to make the double curve. The author didn't make this very clear IMO, but that's ok. We shouldn't get everything handed to us in a silver platter. The same goes for his dimensions in the plans. They took a bit of extrapolating to determine how things should fit.

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
My present project is this relief carving based on a 1937 woodcut by M. C. Escher titled "Still Life & Street Scene," in which objects on the window ledge merge with a street scene beyond. The project is 15" square, 1-1/4" thick basswood - tools used: #3F-16mm, #5F-6mm (fishtails), knife.
This is the 32nd carving I had done based on Escher graphic designs.
Window Building Art Painting House

Wood Rectangle Art Font Triangle

· Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. Time consuming? Isn't this why we do woodworking? lol Besides, it's too cold for golf here in Western PA lol

I had to modify the the template by making it wider. I also had to lear how it was working to make the double curve. The author didn't make this very clear IMO, but that's ok. We shouldn't get everything handed to us in a silver platter. The same goes for his dimensions in the plans. They took a bit of extrapolating to determine how things should fit.
Not here. When projects sold I always have a deadline. Sometimes they ask, sometimes they don’t..Most think production furniture makers do fair quality work, actually many of us are wise with the time to complete with quality..

· Registered
10 Posts
Came out of retirement to do a couple stair sets. Interestingly,both residences have the same 1947 build date. Houses are 200 miles apart yet,the construction techniques are almost exactly the same.... not the least bit unusual,just hits home.

I did 10+ years almost exclusively in historic preservation work. So no biggy on both these stairs. Making all the posts,rails,and ballusters here at our shop. One is a true wind'er the other is almost as "cool"....

Headed to the shop to glue up more mahogany rails.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts