LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lot of money to drill a dowel. And according to some questions and answers I read, it only goes to 8 mm and takes a special bit. I use a jig I bought a while back and it works really well. I didn't pay much for it but I can't remember the exact amount. I would have to use it and need it bad to pay that much.
Gerald

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks moderately interesting but kind of expensive and limited.

Last winter I bought the Jessem doweling jig (http://www.jessemdirect.com/JessEm_Dowelling_Jig_p/08350.htm) and I am pretty impressed with it. Very easy to use and quite versatile. No affiliation - just an impressed customer. I puchased the basic kit for 3/8" dowels which are easy to find or make.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
You can get a self centering dowel jig for Harbor Freight for 14.99. Some how I don't think its it the same class as the Mafell or even made for the same purpose. You can always find something cheaper these days.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
The Mafell is at its best,.... and what it was really designed for, when used in the small cabinet shop putting cabinet boxes together. The other used are just a bonus. The Trition is a cheap knock off of the Mafell.

According to the video you can get cutters from 3mm to 16mm. Not just 8mm holes.

Watch the last 25% of this video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined Lumberjocks today and this is my first post…

I realize this is an older post, but I'm considering this dowel joiner by Triton. To me, it looks like a really good compromise between a biscuit joiner and a Festool Domino. (Like a lot of other woodworkers, I really want the Domino, but I can't stomach the price tag.) Rockler sells this tool for $200, but it looks like it's currently on back order. So the price tag is at least comparable with a good biscuit joiner, in general.

I agree with others that there are less-expensive doweling jigs out there, but to me the real strength of this type of tool (like a biscuit joiner or Domino) is it takes out the guesswork. If the tool speeds up production and eliminates the need for a tape measure, I am personally willing to pay a little extra money (with emphasis on "a little").

I plan to use this tool to index and reinforce joints for assembly and glue up (panels, cabinet boxes, furniture leg-and-apron assemblies, etc.). The joints will likely be reinforced with screws in many cases, so the added strength of the dowel would be a bonus.

I've read through all the posts so far, and I'm wondering if any members have actually used this tool and what their thoughts are. I don't own any Triton tools, so any thoughts on these tools (both positive and negative) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a Mafell Duo-Doweler DD40P. We have bits from 5mm to 10mm. This covers holes fore case construction (8 mm) and shelf supports (5 or 6 mm) holes based on the 32mm system. The Triton offered uses 8 mm bits but in there overseas brochure they mention bit sizes of 5 mm to 10 mm. If you are going to use the Triton in 32 mm construction see if you can get more than just the 8 mm bits.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I ll just keep usin my old General turret style doweling jig. $12.00, and it still works after all these years.
Bill

- Bill White
Maybe I'm wrong but the Triton and Mefell double dowers while could be used for some other things but it look to me to be primarily for build boxes. Something your 12.00 jig would not excel at.

The huge difference in price between Trition and Mafell is probably how accurately they can place holes. If the holes can not be placed quickly and accurately what good are they to the small shop making doweled cabinet boxes.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Google "Newton B-100" (or B-7 or B-600). Look for one on CL. You will then thank me for being the wise tool rec'er.

Faceframes bow to the Newton.

No, no, dont you-you over there in the corner-even mention a bizkut jointer. Dont do it! They suck.

Steve
Who has a B-600 and wont sell it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Looks moderately interesting but kind of expensive and limited.

Last winter I bought the Jessem doweling jig (http://www.jessemdirect.com/JessEm_Dowelling_Jig_p/08350.htm) and I am pretty impressed with it. Very easy to use and quite versatile. No affiliation - just an impressed customer. I puchased the basic kit for 3/8" dowels which are easy to find or make.

- BrianNH
Me too. I bought the whole kit, but love it. I'm making 2 end tables with it now. Very versatile. Looks cool too. haha.

·
Registered
74 Posts
According to the tech specs, the Triton comes with 10 mm bits in Europe and 8 mm in US ( at least the Rockler units) They will take 6 mm to 10 mm bits, but they don't seem to sell these in US. They are compatible with Mafell accessories. I am looking at getting one for various uses, not just joining boards together ( I have a Domino for that).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.