LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
First off let me say that I don't know everything, but I know something. And that something is what I would like to share. I have written blogs here before, and try to be a part of the community. However, the stuff I write seems to get a vibe of "oh how thought full of him, but I knew that already". So what would you like to know? I'd like to know what things you'd like to learn and I want to do my best to blog the "how to" if I actually know how to do it. And if I don't well then I think someone needs to write a "how to" blog by golly. LOL. I will try to blog the most popular "need to know" thing. So lets hear it, what would you like to know how to do?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi GMman. I do all my own design work out of my cabeza. However, I do work with a few designers as well who are superb at what they do. They inspire me, I inspire them. And we work very well together. Thanks for the compliments.

·
Premium Member
25,679 Posts
Identify wood. Seems like I am never quite sure when I try to ID wood that I try to compare to pictures in ID books or on the web. Is that one you can help with?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey GMan… You might want to start a new blog on this one!.. Over the years I have made many a project some large and some small and my projects are all over Canada, U.S.A., and UK… Now the Question !!... How do you folks sign your projects that they will last and you can keep track of where they went ???

Enquiring minds want to know !!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Identifying wood through pictures is very difficult, if not impossible. If all wood stayed a solitary color it may be easy, but with the differences between heartwood and sapwood, every single piece of wood can vary greatly in color. In fact I could post 2 pictures of the same wood with different grain patterns and color and I bet I get a variety of answers.
Anyhow, I don't know enough about it to be of help.
Woodwarm, can you post a pick of one you've made.
Woodmight, I sign all my work with a wood burner before I apply finish. I don't sign cabinet jobs, just my furniture and small projects. I keep track of them because nobody buys them. So I have them all. LOL

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Another thing Keith correct me if I am wrong, you can take 2 rough boards that look exactly the same color and after a pass in the planer you have two completely different color.
Sometime you may think you have two different wood.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I would like to learn how to hand cut dovetails. I have Rob Crossman's DVD, but haven't actually put my hand to work yet.

I would also like to gain skill in milk paint finishes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree with the double dovetails, always thought they looked sharp in designs! ...Of course that means I'd have to learn how to hand cut dovetails too, and last attempt at that on my part didn't go so well. I've also always wanted to learn more about inlay. Not so much the router style with the patterns, more design and freeform inlays. I think Stefang made a box project the other day and referred to it as Stickwork.

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
A very generous offer from an outstanding woodworker. I can never remember the things I want to learn until I need them so it's a little difficult to come up with a wish list right off the bat.

Dan and Jim there is already a great blog by Woodhacker on double dovetails. Check it out. I don't think you will need more info than what is in that blog.

·
Registered
26,886 Posts
Here;s something thats been in the back of my mind. How to do lead lighting work, some call it stained glasswork.
Has anyone seen any videos on the www?.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.