LumberJocks Woodworking Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am making a large toy box that will double as a window seat. It will be in a 8 year-old boy's room and I anticipate that he will use is as a seat a lot for reading as well as for storage. The overall size of the lid will be 18" x 72" and made from 5/4 red oak. With this in mind I ask two questions. Is this too big of a lid to leave as one piece or would you recommend making it two three-foot sections? (I have heavy enough support hinges to hold the whole thing.) Second, I have a choice of gluing up two 10" pieces (1 seam down the middle where the young man sits) versus a center 10" piece with two 5" pieces on either side (solid center portion and two side seams) before cutting down to finished width. My brain is telling me the latter glue up is more stable. Your input is most welcome.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did have using battens in mind and you all mentioning that certainly drives home that they are a good idea. The Rockler hinges are exactly what I have and plan on using. While I like how clean one solid lid would look, I will most likely go with a two-section lid.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Battens are a good idea and I would devide the lid into sections. If it is one pice just think of the weight of it comeing down on a hand or head. Lessen the load and easier to support.

Scrappy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.